Going To The Chevy Dam Tonight

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by whiteriverbigcats, Sep 2, 2008.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Heading to the Chevy Dam tonight.. Going to have me a big bucket of gills and going to slay some flattys tonight... and possibly some big channels cause they love live bluegills more then the flatheads there...

2. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    where is chevy dam at?

3. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Well its not much of a dam anymore.. but it still creates plenty of structure.. It is located just South of the Indianapolis Zoo right smack dab in front of the Chevy Plant.. Cant miss it. they have a Big truck on top of a podium atop the building that faces the dam

4. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    My cousin and I were talking about heading down there sometime this week. Have any luck?

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Okay, I had no clue this was actually the place being referred to here. This place has been known for some bigger fish from way back when. The Chevy plant there is known as GM Truck and Bus... The intersection is Oliver Ave. and S. White River Parkway W. Drive.

It is just a couple blocks west of the Lucas Oil Stadium, and a block south, and block east of the Indianapolis Zoo.....

6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Hey Shane, do you fish on top or below the dam?

7. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    thats my hole how u hear bout it lol I caught a 30 and a 24 there once

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I have been hearing "stories" about this place for years, my dad use to fish there often. I would hear about it at the bait shop, and when we would show up there to fish. I was always intimidated by the water over the rocks, but knowing what I know now all I have to say is BRING IT ON!. I havent ever fished right up by the rocks though, my dad has, but I was always told to fish downstream with my mom.

9. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    well did you do any good?

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I personally haven't fished there yet, but I plan on it soon.

I will keep ya'll posted...

11. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Missed a couple last week but the biggest was a 14# flatty and tonight I went again and the biggest was a 11# channel.. they were really weird tonight... I have come to figure out everything will eat Bluegills there.. so thats cool

12. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking of heading over there in a few hours to try my luck out. I haven't been on the water for a while and I'm itching to go. How's the water looking down there?

13. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    You need to be real careful about where you park. If you are caught with a vehicle down next to the river the cops can take your gear and tow your car. I still go down there and take my chances. It is the same off of the Harding street near the dog pound.

I was thinking of heading down there about 3pm not sure yet. I am waiting on a friend to bring his truck over so I can weld up his ladder rack.
    God he needs to hurry I am getting that fishin itch....LOL

14. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    They will not tow your car or take your gear... 2 years ago they would have but they got tired of all the people going down there anyway and made accessable to the public... I drive right on down there and DNR are the ones that showed me where to drive down at... I used to walk... But I started fishing there when I was a kid with my grandfather... he worked there a GM for 47 yrs.. A cousin of mine still does.

15. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    The bite comes on between 9:30pm and 1am after 1am give it up till about 400 to 430

16. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    hey you need a partner next time you go?need some water to fish also to fish with another boc member.

17. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Anytime.. I work the weekends but on occasion I take a night off.. but I mainly fish tuesday and wednesday nights

18. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    next time you go give me a call-812-369-7526 maybe i can make it up there thanks wrbc

19. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I just got back from the dam after spending the afternoon there, a very WET afternoon.

No bites to speak of sadly. The man fishing beside me told me he had caught 60lbs worth of channels there last weekend with his family. :eek:oooh:

I think I'll be headed back in the morning, any tips on how close/far to the dam I should hit?

20. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Use live gives. and dont fish next to the dam (rocks ) fish the dead center.. Its not very deep. but i think they run that center in circles. All my flatheads have come from the dead center of that place.. The weird thing is the carp are usally sucking the edges all night but i havent seen any this year there