Going to Tenkiller/Illinois River next week

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Ack, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The wife just gave the ok, so I'm all set! I'll head out on Thursday or Friday, and stay over for a 3 or 4 day weekend. I'm going to try both fishing for trout on the river just below the dam, and fishing for catfish from my boat on the lake.

They're stocking trout on the 22nd, so I figure if I go out a couple of days after that they should be ready to bite! I've never caught any trout before, so wish me luck! I'm going to try corn, marshmallows, and power bait unless some of you tell me different.

On the lake, I'm going to get a cast net and try to catch some bait for the first time. If I can catch any I'll fish with shad. If not, probably shrimp or frozen chicken liver. I'll probably set some jugs in the morning, fish around the lake with a pole for a while, then bring the jugs in. Based on what other people have been telling me about winter catfishing I'll try to fish on the bottom near dropoffs in around 40' of water. Sound about right?

I'm excited, because I haven't done much serious fishing since early fall. I hope I don't freeze to death. Wish me luck, and if you have any tips for me pass them on!

2. jugliner

jugliner New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Where are you planning on fishing and I might be able to help? Carter landing is a good quite place to camp w/hookups. Don

3. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll be on a boat, so I can get pretty much anywhere. I'll save gas if I can stick to the south half of the lake. Thanks!

4. jugliner

jugliner New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There will be someone around here throw ya a bone. I never fish the south end in the winter.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are some good deep holes on the south end of the lake. At the mouth of Burnt Cabin just south of sandbass cove, it drops off to around 90 to 100 feet. I haven't got to fish it much since I got my lots down there, I grew up on the upper end and did all my fishing there. Between Carters landing and Petit Bay are good. Actually, for catfish, around Standing Rock and straight across and to the north along the rocks on Wildcat point was always good for us with trotlines.

As far as the trout go, I fish for them alot! I was getting most of mine the other day on white or chartreus power bait and black rooster tails. Also, using woolie booger fly streatched out between 18 and 24 inches from a bobber worked pretty good too. Usually a smal castmaster or super duper spoon work great!

Good luck. If you've got any more questions, just give me a shout.

6. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info xringer. I used to swim a lot at Wildcat point when I was younger. I guess I'm lucky I never ran into one of your trotlines!

How deep do you think I should fish for catfish this time of year? All the way down on the bottom in 100' holes, or is that too deep? Any recommendations on good spots to find shad?

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I haven't had the opportunity to get much winter fishing in yet or to graph the deep holes to see of there's any fish hanging down there. If I were you, I'd follow the fish on the depth finder and go from there. The ft gibson lake report shows fish biting on worms, shad, and liver around 30 to 40 feet. I'm sure it should be around the same for other lakes in the area. I'd have to wonder about the oxygen level at 100 ft. Not sure if there's enough for the fish, but the depth finder should tell you if you've got one.