Going to start fishing a new lake (buggs island)

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by moosman66, Jun 24, 2006.

1. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Ok i plan to start fishing a new lake closer to home (kerr resivoir ) sometimes referred to as buggs island. I fish the rivers often but i just recently purchased a boat. Im not too familiar with the lake but I know the lake has a couple of bridges train trussels ect. Where should I start as far as selecting a good spot to fish. Also if anyone knows how to idenify a catfish on a fishfinder thanks

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    don't know much about buggs but i'd love to fish it sometime

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would find deep water in the main channel where it bends close to the banks. You will probably get into some descent size blue cats. Flatheads wil be located in the shallows at night next to a deep hole with heavy structure.
    Im not that experienced with fish finders but from I have seen and read in the past, its usually the arches on the graph on or close to the bottom. Also these arches will not have the long tails on them.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Personally, I don't know much about it, but there is a report website for it. Go to google and type it "Kerr Fishing Report" and you should be able to find the website, last time I checked they were catching the big Blues and Flatheads way up towards the Clarksville Bridge.

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    you can also check out the Va lakes thread and see if there is any info and some of the baitshops will give you some useful info

6. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks for the info guys now lets see if I can go catchem

7. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    i fish buggs island at least once a week and depending on wat kidna catfish ur goin after makes the choice on where to go....if ur goin for flatheads u should go twards the mouths or the rivers or in the rivers at night... and for blues the deep main lake around goat island and the bridges.... it is a short ride from around clarksville area to the rivers so its not hard to find some good fishing

8. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i'm planning on going next weekend so thanks for the info