going to santee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by stalker, Jul 8, 2008.

1. stalker

stalker New Member

State:
    sc
    Hey guys, when i fished big pee dee the other day i was using cut herring and bream. Fished waccamaw out of bucksville last night the only one who caught a fish was about a 5 ft long moccasin. He had about a half pound blue about half way down, but any day on the water is a good day right......Planning a trip to santee this weekend if the weather permits it. We fished there last year about this time of year and done pretty good, but so far this year we havent done that great. I think the low water levels have affected the mussel beds. Does anybody have any ideas or comments about this. Where did all the fish go!!!!! :crazy: Any help or hints would be appreciated.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kent the fishing has been pretty darn good especially when the water was low a few months back. What part of santee are you planning on trying?

3. stalker

stalker New Member

State:
    sc
    We usually fish out of harrys and go out to the standing cypress trees at night but went there a couple of weeks ago and didnt see near as many mussels. That was usually what the cats we caught had been feeding on. But we also fished the canal as well the last time we were down there, any ideas!!! I have another question for you guys while on the subject, i had a fish bend a 5 alt hook {eagle claw} that night at santee in the canal any guess how big it may have been. Thanks for the replies..

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dont know about the size of the fish but those hooks arent know for being very strong. Try using a hook made out of better metals like the Gamakatsu octopus circles. There should be fish in the area you are asking about but try using cut white perch. I would go back and fish in the canal where the big fish straightened you out and give him a try again with some better hardware.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck on your trip. I would love to fish over there just 1 time!

6. stalker

stalker New Member

State:
    sc
    hey guys, didnt make it to santee last weekend, me and my cousin went and on saturday and got a flat tire on my pontoon trailer. We were lucky though we found a tire but it was dry rotted and blowed out 15 miles from harrys. Had to leave the boat but stopped at santee river bridge and caught one blue about 5#s , so not a complete waste of time. Going to try again this weekend though wish me luck.. hey rivercat where did you fish out of when you caught all those fish. :cool2:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    All of what fish? I have caught alot of fish at santee drifting in the lower lake down on the lower end.

8. stalker

stalker New Member

State:
    sc
    Im sorry for not specifying, the ones you caught at big pee dee the other day!

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kent I put in at Petersfield Landing and fished around the Tanyard. They were smokin it early in the morning. Yall ought to come out and fish the Pee Dee Catmaster tournament out of Allison Landing friday night.

10. stalker

stalker New Member

State:
    sc
    James i would deffinatly go but, i dont know the river very good or where to fish out there especially at night. Ive only been to allisons landing or big pee dee one time. Thats why i was asking where you fished out of and i thank you for your answer. We went fishing at that state park today didnot get a bite. So we went to my cuz's uncles lake and tore them up. Ill post some pics when i upload them.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kent call me or come out to Allison for the weigh-in. We are going to have a fish-n-camp at Dunhams Bluff at the park-n-blow on Aug 15th-16th and would be a good time to come out and get together and fish with us. The Pee Dee in your area is my most favorite place to fish. Give me a call anytime 843-229-6174