Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Going to Santee on 5/17/08

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Foxhound 
#1 ·
Me and my brother are headed to santee for one of our trips this year. We will be staying a harry's fish camp and was wondering if anybody from the boc would be around? Also I was wondering if anyone had a hint on the flathead pattern right now.
:smile2:

#3 ·
Bigcatman, I can't help with the fish report. Sorry about that. I have never been to Santee or Harry's but it looks like thats the place that I will stay when I do go in late May or early June. What can you tell me about Harry's? Is it a nice place to stay? Hows tha food? I only have a 14 foot Jon boat and will be fishing for cat's for the most part with my brother. Any advice you may have would be great. Thanks for the help and have a great trip!

#4 ·
Brad, I usually fish Marion on the opposite side that you are going to be on. However, I usually fish at night and try to find areas that have structure and/or a deep to shallow water transition. I love to fish the old creek and river channels. I have seen some great info recently on this topic in the SC forums. You might want to poke around a bit.

Ken, I can tell you they have some tatsty burgers and fries. Even a nice little side salad if your not the burger type :smile2:

#5 ·
I have been to Santee and also stayed at Harrys. You will have a good time, ask some of the locals where Earl is...He took me fishing one night down there, and he has been living on that lake for 50 yrs..Talk to him and he will give you some good advice.

#6 ·
Go to Harrys website for all their info.I have been staying there for years and the ownership is first rate.It is a typical fish camp,nothing fancy and the restuarant is the same, good food friendly people.MANY big cats have been caught from right in front of Harrys particularly at night.With your small boat you can get to good structure and still be close to safety if a storm comes up.Santee will kill you in the blink of an eye if you are stupid about things.It is very shallow and can go from glass smooth to OCEAN in 5 minutes or less.Harrys is right on the canal so you can find calm water in most any weather conditions.If you are contemplating the Memorial day week end it can be a zoo at that time.Good luck:big_smile:

#10 ·
Me and my brother are headed to santee for one of our trips this year. We will be staying a harry's fish camp and was wondering if anybody from the boc would be around? Also I was wondering if anyone had a hint on the flathead pattern right now.
:smile2:
I'll be on the water. I monitor channel 68 and 77 call is just my name 3 times

Curt Curt Curt...I never hear the first 2 my wife says!

Curt

#11 ·
I have stayed at Harry's several times in the past. They have a shad bait shop, restaraunt, tackle store and friendly people. One thing you need to know is this. THEY ONLY ACCEPT CASH, NO CREDIT CARDS. I was burned only one time so you should plan accordingly and bring enough cash. I just got back from fishing the diversion canal. It is only a few miles by water from Harry's downstream. If you have a depth finder, you will notice the canal is about 30feet deep all the way down except a short strech below the bridge where it shallows up to 15feet all the way accross the river. Santee Cooper made this back when they first made the reservoirs back in the 40's to protect the other lake if a dike or dam ever failed. This stretch is all underwater riprap with alot of rocks kept in storage above the banks should Santee Cooper ever had to quickly dam it off. The flatheads at night are doing well here on live shad. Blues and Channels are biting on cut shad about the size of a thumb on a carolina rig 4oz sinker. Good luck!
Jonathan
bearfrog1@yahoo.com

#12 ·
I'll be heading down this Wednesday and staying through Sunday. First time on the water since Oct. of last year. Man! I can't wait. The canal is a good spot to catch some flats right now. That spot below the bridge is a good one at night. Just be sure the anchor you use will come loose fairly easily. When I anchor up there I usually have to pull the anchor loose with my motor. I also catch them on down lines in the upper lake with bream and the best bait of all, white perch. Good luck and be safe.

#15 ·
Gary and Ken,I see 2 Ryans on here now!!!!:big_smile:One of them is downright handsome and the other is plumbbbb ugly.Could you tell me which is which??????:smile2::big_smile:I'll be down at first light on the 24th at Harrys.Shall we do breakfast at Canal Lakes?????say 0700????If you are going to do a fish fry what can I bring or will a case of beer etc suffice.Just tell me the brand or anything else you need.Perhaps we do a raft up at night by the bridge and fish for flatheads!!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:

#16 ·
Jim
Breakfast at Canal Lakes on the 24th at 0700 sounds good to us and we are planning on doing a fish fry that afternoon and you are more than welcome.....we also plan on trying those flatheads at the old secret hole....you know ......the old tango/tango/bravo/alpha/blue dog barking hole......Yeah that ugly fellow is my kid brother Gary. Ive kinda got him hooked on this catfishing...he just bought a new pontoon boat a couple months back and we had to iniate it with some catfish slime last month in the swamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.