Going to Santee Cooper Lake this coming Wed.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sclariat, Oct 16, 2007.

1. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Going to Randolph's Landing for 4 day and then to Hill's the following 3 days (maybe)!

My questions are:
    1. Can you still launch at Randolphs, Hill's, and Angel's. If not where can you?
    2. Has anyone heard of any decent size cats being caught? If so, upper or lower lake?
    3. Can you still catch mullet at Wilson Landing or is there no water?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have no answers to your questions just wanted to say good luck.

3. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    I just spoke to the people at Angels Landing. They advised no problem launching a boat, a 30 footer lacunched and recovered yesterday with no problems.

I asked about fishing and they say people were catching catfish but no real wall hangers.

That is all that I know.

Angels Landings Number is 843 351 4274

Jim

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've never had the chance to fish there but 4 of my friends just got back from there. I'm trying to get a report for ya asap Last we spoke they were catching fish #16 and under...couldnt find the big boys. I know for sure they always use herring and swear by it out there. I know your going soon so I will try to post what I can find out for ya by today.

5. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks you guys for the info. Maybe I'll hear from some others also later today. Wish I knew if we could get into Randolph's or Alex Havin Landing for sure. Seems no one is catching large ones anymore, let alone getting in the mud, I mean the lake.
    Just read an article printed up here in the upstate saying Santee is the lowest it has ever been since 1951. Athens, Ga is said to have enough water for about 4 weeks left. Atlanta has enough for about 3-4 months. Atlanta is wanting to tap into Lake Hartwell since Lake Lanier is just about sucked dry. If Atlanta taps into Hartwell Lake it would just be a matter of months before it would be gone with the huger volume they require. I think they need to tap into the Mississippi River myself.
    The article I read about Santee also said that 1/3 of the lakes is NO longer under water and people are getting tickets for riding with ATV's and 4 wheelers on the lake bed. I figured since the two lakes are smaller it would be easier to catch fish but it doesn't sound that way. ?

Have a great day guys. and God Bless Ya!

Remember the worst day fishing is better than the best day at work.
    Period!

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Well I know that in late december there was no problem with Randolphs, They added concrete to their launch last month. Also there is always the DNR launch in Wyboo across from Lil N8s baitstore. I usually launch there anyways. It is real nice. My advice would be to fish only at night for some big cats. Yep, the water situation is really bad... scary. I hope this helps.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would stick with the canal and put in at canal lakes resort to give you access to both lakes. The flatheads have been biting pretty good in the old river bed on lake marion and lots of eater blues and channells on th lower lkae drifting most any kind of cut bait. Havent heard of manu bigguns but they are there and you just gotta find em. I will probablly be down there earlly next week for a few days also. Good luck and save some for the rest of us.

9. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone. Going to bed and will leave early tommorrow.

Hope everyone has a great week and good fishing, no GREAT fish catching.

Will check one last time before we leave in the morning. Might be our last trip down for a while unless we get some serious water in our lakes.

God Bless All!

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i will be on the lower lake thursday to sunday give me a hollar ch69 or cell #980-522-1749 will give tommy a report to post see you soon.ron howard

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ron I see you are on right now so are you intending to fish the Hills tournament in Nov.Of course there may be no water at all by Nov and we will have to weigh fish skeletons!!!!HAHAHAHA.Lake is lower than I have ever seen.I'm not sure when the Hills is but I have some leave days I have to get rid of soon.Let me know.:big_smile:

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jim find out let me know we can give it a try

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Its the 10th and 11th of Nov.I know you swore off over nighters but maybe Me, You and Tommy can fish in shifts.:big_smile::wink:Should be a good time for the SC/NC guys to gather and have a good time..I can get down there Thurs if need be of that week.:big_smile:

14. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    im hooked will be thear on thursday you get tommy to come along and we cant miss see you soon

15. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we'll be there too bringing the younguns they cant wait.Jamie said that he was gonna have the tourny for whoever turns out but hes not gonna have a bbq this year,cant say as i blame him cost can be high and if no one shows up cause of the water hes out,but we'll have a ball anywho.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    NO BBQ!!! Are you kidding me!!!!:angry::sad2:What are they at Hills COmmunists????? Well then we will just have to have our own!!!!!:big_smile:Maybe a fish fry.Lets see who else is coming down so we can get organized.Sign on if you are reading this thread.:big_smile::smile2:

17. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    I will not be fishing the tournament but will come and give you guys moral support.

Jim

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yall no I will be there. I hope there is a good crowd for Jamie's sake cause he guarantees all of his prize money so that will be a good chunk of change if no one shows. Count me in!

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Roundhill I will maybe be down on friday night or sat morning if so I will hollar at you.

20. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry RoundHill I didn't check to get your message before I left for Santee. The wind was pretty bad for several days so we fished behind Green Island near Randolph's. We caught good fish each day but not many. Usually only 4-7 a day. They were all over 10 pounds with the biggest 23, 28, and 33 pounds. Most were 10 to 18 pounds and blues. Caught 3 flatties 16 and 33 lbs. The best fish as usual got away. Played him a few hard minutes and he/she went around and under a stump. He apparently had pulled that before to get away. I do know he has a sore mouth for a while though. You could barely put in at Randolphs if the wind wasn't blowing to you. The ramp was pretty rough and one person apparently went to far back and had to have help getting out. Most of the time we put in at the DNR ramp. Leaving there we only had 3 feet of water to hit the main creek. One of its ramps was all ready closed. Sure did have a nice all aluminium dock. This is the place to put in if any one has to go down there. Randolph's restuarant was only open one day and I must admit it certainly wasn't very clean. Thought I might catch something there but not saying what. Rooms were ok but they never came in and cleaned the floor or renew the TP. One could definitely read through the TP. It was Mr. T's toilet paper if you know what I mean. Over all it was a great trip. I will say I liked fishing out of Randoph's because there was always some place to fish if the wind was blowing hard and it was most of the time we were there. We ususally drifted up and down the sunken islands both day and night. Seems like every thing we caught was at 19 ft going up the base of an island. Tried still fishing at night with hardly no hits except for one flattie (28 lbs.) on top of an island. Most of what we caught were on bream. Bream was difficult to find until the last day where we finally found a dock still in the water (this was a miracle in its own right) with a lot of brush put out for crappie. Wish we would have found that dock earlier in the week. I think we got one large fish on a live white perch and none on Bluebacks. Most were on white perch heads.
    I want to say I appreciated all the responses you'll gave me before we left and as always this is the best catfish site in the universe. The FISHERMEN here CARE ABOUT OTHER fisherman and that is really fantastic. Most are so secretly around here where I live you are lucky to find out they even fish in water----if we even have any water in the lakes here any more.

You'll are a special group!!!!!!
    Thank you for your help once again.:0a31::0a31: