Going to Santee Cooper Lake for next weekend

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by crusinman2002, Apr 8, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... comin down to sc to fish santee cooper for the 14th and 15th... one of my friend's talked me into fishing and i was like, did u say santee cooper?... lol... i talked him right into catfishin during the night... he needed a boat to fish from and i needed just the slightest reason to come down there to fish... lol... but... i got to get going... have to fix the airator for the bait well... it decided to stop working... something electrical... l8er yall

2. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Which area are you planning on fishing? I'm thinking of going to Packs Landing Saturday night.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    not sure yet... heard alot of good stuff bout packs on here, so i'll prolly end up up there... but i'm not too sure yet... still got to figure out where i'll be puttin in at and where i'll be camping... lol

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yeah iwill be down around packs on saturday. was going this past saturday but cancelled or postpawned the trip because of the cold weather.

5. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good Luck and give us a report when you get back.

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    sure will give a report... got to ba$$ fish for largemouth during the day, but once the tourney hours are over, its straight to catfishin... lol.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    good luck you might run into a cat like mine (avatar)!!! i caught mine there last week, we stayed at blacks fish camp.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... i'm goin to be putting in at harry's down by the canal... it looks like a pretty long run up to packs, so i don't think i'll make it up that way... been lookin on google earth and have a few spots picked out... but i know nothing bout the lakes at all... i'm goin to try in the shallows, but i'll be sitting close to some deep water too so that if the shallows don't produce, i can swap to deeper water... shouldn't be a problem for me to get shad, so that will be my bait while i'm there... if anyone has any words of advice for down in that area i'll appreciate it.

9. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    You will have both deep water and shallow real close by the at Harry's. I know very little about the area but I'm sure some of the guys here will help you with some tips on where to go.

10. as a wise fisherman told me.. shallow,shallow,shallow. during dark hours and before 9:00am shallow around cypress trees 2-6 foot then move deeper as the bite slows. good luck

11. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    There is alot of good shallow water around harrys u should find plenty of good fishin this weekend at least i hope so.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go towards the dam (Right) when you come out of Harrys.Go to channel marker 38 and look to your right.You will see lots of stumps sticking up close to the dam.That is shallow water and a lot of horses have come right from there.If you look left you will see an island with a long shallow sandbar coming out of it.From that island back to Harrys is a long deep trench with shallow water on the south side.Thats another good area and you can anchor on the edge and have both deep and shallow water or drift through it if the wind id right.good luck.:smile2:

13. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    thanks for the info jim, i'll have to give that spot a try

if anyone else is goin to be in that area, i'll be in an old faded javelin 366 fish and ski (silver and red) with a big blue rubbermaid container rigged up as a livewell just behind the front seats... u r more than welcome to stop in and say hey, i always like meeting people from the boc

14. i'll be fishing late fri night-early sat. am on Marion around island sixteen as long as the weather holds out. i haven't fished all night in a while so i'm hoping a good report will follow. Good luck to all

15. Alright heres my report. fished from 3 am -8am today around island 16 .
    caught 10 cats ranging from 5-18 lbs w/ 5 of them over 10 lbs.
    had great time. All were caught w/ cut herring in 2-4 feet deep anchored.
    Awesome fight in shallow and most were caught w/ the medium action
    rods which made it that much better.Beautiful night for fishing. only thing missing was some good coffee.:roll_eyes: shallow is the way to go.
    only bad thing was all the bass boats(about 20) blowing by us at daybreak. didn't catch another fish after they tore up the water but,
    pretty good 10 fish by my standards anyway.:big_smile:

16. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Mark thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a good night fishing.

Jim

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, it doesn't always work, but on the south and west side of sixteen, where there are rapid dropoffs to deeper water, sometimes works after the sun starts to rise. I like to drift those areas from shallow to deep if the wind allows, or just the opposite will often work too.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That last post shoud have read: "on the south and EAST side of Sixteen island".
    Sometimes when after the sun rises and the bite drops off, I do pretty good by moving to a little deeper water nearby.

19. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    well... as yall know i was fishing a ba$$ tourney sat., but i didn't catch a single one... i was barely tryin... i just couldn't wait till the tourney was over so that i could start catfishing... friday evening a couple of the ba$$ guys had caught a couple of nice sized ba$$, but noone in the tourney i was in caught anything legal to keep, just a couple of small ones, and 2 that were lost during the fight... a tourney that had no winner... lol... sat. wasn't a good day for most everyone that i talked to... the wind started kicking up bout 2 in the afternoon and the lake went dead... i tried to get into the lower lake cause the guys down there had pointed me to a really good spot (from what they said) but i wasn't able to get into the lower lake, the water had 3 to 4 foot swells in the lower part of the canal, so i turned around and fished the canal a bit, only a single bite on some cut herring... then i was goin to go fish out in front of the dam, but ended up hitting a piling or something near the 4 rock markings, i was headed towards the dam, moving slow cause i couldn't see anything, if you were to draw a line between the 2 markings on the right (headed towards the dam), i hit it bout midway down that line and about 30 feet to the left of that line... i had passed through there earlier quite a few times up on plane and never even noticed it... i told the people at the office at harry's fish camp and they told me that its been reported cause its been hit a few times and its supposed to be getting marked... didn't really do much damage as i was moving slow, but it hit a patch that i have on the keel and busted the patch, so now i have some fiberglass work to do to fix that... can't afford a keel shield right now, but i am definatly getting one soon... well... ended up having to bank fish the rest of the night till the storms came in and didn't catch nothing... just had a single bite on cut shad and all that was left on the hook was the head... sorry for the long report, i think the weather had them messed up with the storms coming in and the heavy wind

20. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    oh... almost forgot... the guy that i was fishing with who is an avid ba$$ fisherman kept getting mad whenever i would slow down goin past boats... i would slow down and then someone from his club would end up goin flyin by me... they had asked why i kept slowing down thinking i had a motor problem, and then the lesson on common courtisy was givin... they never even looked at it as "what if i were the person that i'm flying by?" but after i got done talkin they were amazed to see what they have really been doin to people and they thanked me for sharing the view from the other side... that and i reminded them of the federal navigation law that says that when you are passing an anchored boat within 50 yards you must be at no wake, most of them didn't even know that and they all said that they will be slowing down for other boats, cause if you break any laws you are supposed to be disqualified from the tourney, and since its a federal law they have to follow it... just wanted to share that