Going To Rend Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by HARVRAD2003, Apr 12, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Will be heading to REND LAKE to fish with a few of the guys from our Church next month, we will be spending the night one Friday night at Sand something or another, can't remember the camp site. Question is I'll be using probably my 7000's, 6500's and a few other reel set ups that weekend, would 20 and 30 lb. test be enough for pulling in fish from this lake? Also does anyone know of any good area's to fish at night at Rend Lake, hoping to catch some good size fish maybe even a nice flat head. We'll be fishing from a pontoon boat.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have never really fished Rend for cats or anything for that matter. I have hunted there however. Im sure you do but just watch yourself in some coves there are a lot of stumps and stuff to watch out for. I would think 20-30 lb would be sufficient, I have never really heard of anything huge being pulled out of there but you never know. Let us know how you do!

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    randy,
    first of all this is an awesome lake in my opinion.
    the point you speak of sounds like north and south sandusky
    although i myself didnt visit sandusky area i did fish the
    fitzgerald area across the lake from sandusky.
    we were told that the rip rap is good at night and it got us several nice fish , but i think it would have been better with cooler weather and a different bait stratedgy.
    we were there in super hot weather and were useing shrimp and crawlers
    i think cutbait would have done us a lot better.
    i am posting a link to the maps that i used to go there and it can help you a little better to see where everything is located.

this lake on the fitzgerald side is very nice for camping
    it has nice cleaning stations with electris and good pessureized water
    to clean everything up when your done.
    the scrap guts etc are periodically taken out to (marked areas of the lake to feed and attract fish) might be a thing to check out .
    i would think cats would attract to these areas too.
    i envy ya. i might get to go soon too but not this weekend .
    wish ya great success on your trip and hope you really enjoy rend.
    the little towns around there are pretty neat too.
    ina i think is one of them either ina or sesser has a lot of antique shops
    something the wife/girlfriend might enjoy if they go with you.

http://www.rendlake.com/pages/maps/mapindex.htm

clic on the upper and lower lake maps for detailed veiws

rob is right there are some shallow areas that need to be scouted in the daylight before night runs if thats not possible go slow and keep eyes peeled.
    it should be better as the water is not low now at least it shouldn't be with all the rain we have had.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Rend lake is my old fishing spot before I moved to Lousiana. A good place for cats is the old road bed for rout 37 just on the east side of the interstate. Depending on where you are camped at. I would not recomend going under the 37 bridge unless you are familure with the water, there is a lot of stumps in that area.

Hope this helps.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    as far as your reels go .
    6500 and 7000 of course will work LOL

just gotta worry about what poles they are attached to.

seriously there are supposed to be some nice sized flatties in there
    cant hurt to be prepared as far as your gear goes

the lake is 19,000 acres.

6. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have also heard that the old road bed was a good place for flatheads! Gun Creek is supposed to be another good area to try.

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I think your right I believe it is North Sandusky, but I thought it was either right before the first main bridge or the second bigger bridge. Seems that you took a right off the main road 154--but it was a map and I'm thinking I didn't look so hard, but I'm sure its N. Sandusky. I'm intending on using at least 4 Ugly Sticks, I have 2 large Diawa Emblem Spinning reels spooled with 30 Lb. P-LINE // 1 on a 11' Tiger and the other on a 7' Tiger Rod. Also have a MH and a M 7' Tiger rod that I figure my 7000's will be on. I'm also thinking about going to Petco or Petsmart and buying a bunch of 2-3 inch goldfish to take with me, they're only 26 cents a piece so I may buy 20-30 of them. Any suggestions on how to keep them alive taking them from O'fallon Ill. to Rend Lake--thinking about putting them in a large plastic container.

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    the subimpoundment area is also good:)

9. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Anyone know what a out of state fishing license cost in Illinois? I was thinking about going to Rend to camp and fish and have my daughter meet me there for a visit. I won't visit her where she lives because of her in-law aren't my favorite people. So Rend is close to her and I heard it's really nice and a good place for some panfish slabs.

10. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL

Resident and non-resident sport fishing;
    24-hour license . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5.50
    (includes salmonid fishing privileges)
    Non-resident sport fishing. (10 days) . . . . $13.00
    Non-resident sport fishing. (annual) . . . . . $24.50

Rend is probably one of if not the best crappie fisheries in Illinois right now. Good luck.

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Thanks Alan for the prompt reply. I rekon a 10 day is all I need. Does it cost anything to launch a boat?

12. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Mark the DNR has 27 boat launches on the lake that are available to the public. There's no fee to use them.
    Rat

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Actually after thinking about it, I can't take my boat. It's too small. I have one of them two man pond skippers. I would say that the lake is way too big for it.