Going to Outer Banks, NC-anyone fished there lately?

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 26, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey ya'll I'm going with my dad to the Outer Bank's, NC this tuesday. To fish for big 30+ lb stripers......supposely they have been catching some like that.
    Has anyone been there lately? If so, what was going on?

Hope everyone had a Great and Merry Christmas........Zakk :)

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    But I was out there this summer. I've been wanting to go for a while now, but generally end up catfishing instead! lol I've been wanting to catch my first striper, and have a new rod and reel just for such an occasion...but here I sit...Good luck though, and let me know how it goes! Are you guys going to be fishing from boat, or beach?

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh I was there in September and actaully caught a 8 lb Striper and a few 4 ft sharks.......Cant wait to go tommorow hopefully......but we dont want to go until the wind is reasonable.....were fishing in the surf, piers maybe, and diffently Oregon Inlet.....I'll let you know how it goes......Zakk :)

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Alright getting ready to head out soon, Hope the Striper's are hittin' good.

Take it easy, Zakk :)

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I hope so too...it's just too bad that I'll be at work while you're fishing... :sad: Anyway, best of luck and get back with us ASAP...lol

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Nothing, Notta, No fish......no one was catching any in the surf or shore. You had to have a boat....fished hard 48 hours straight with 3 hours of sleep!!!
    Still no fish! Then I got back here and my computer crashed today, lost everything!

People in boats limited out with 15-30 lb stripers, they were catching them last weekend from the surf and oregon inlet bridge but now they went a little off shore....they will be back though. I will go again for sure! Bait was also very hard to get, I bought live eels(a great trophy striper bait) and I had to wade out in the sound to catch my own bait which turned out to be mullet.
    Fished with 25 poles total at oregon inlet.....thats right 25 poles! And not even one bite from anything! No-one got a bite (that I saw) the whole time!

Thank's for the "Good luck" though, I needed it... :eek:

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    that sucks................

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah and then like yesterday they got a 62 pound striper....great right when I leave they catch the new saltwater state record.... :sad:

Oh well, it is called fishing, not catching :D

9. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

today(12-31) pea island in hatteras got the best run of 10-15 lb blues theyve had in 20 years....tons of em....run lasted for hours.....also unconfirmed reports of drum at the point

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, I read about that today. Right when I leave they catch a bunch of fish. I'm going back sometime soon though.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well that's the luck sometimes...I haven't had any luck in the salt as long as I've been here, and that's over 7 years now! I've got a handfull spot, sea mullet, a couple(litterally two or three flounder), one bluefish, one puffer, a few oyster toads, more stingrays than you can shake a catfish at...and some hogfish...my biggest fish being a 40lb stingray, which was the biggest fish I'd ever caught untill I landed my 48lb. flattie this year.

But anyway, you'll get 'em next time. Heaven knows when I'll get a chance to head up that way again... :confused:

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah man, I do great in saltwater probaly actually better than freshwater.....It's mostly about using big bait on big gear for the real big fish there. I mostly just go after sharks.....but thats mostly in the summer. Biggest shark so far is 7 ft but I've lost some MUCH bigger right at the piers and bridges and stuff.

Good luck :)

BTW, if you ever get a chance to go on a saltwater charter trip than you should diffently do it.....it was really the most fun I've ever had in my whole life!