Going To Newburgh

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by deadly_legend, Aug 29, 2009.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i probably didnt spell that right, but owell. Im back, and going fishing :D Going down to Newburgh within 2 hours, plan on spending the day down there. Girlfriend said she knew a good place down there that is open to public, so may hit that up after the river. If anyone has any tips or ideas i should try let me know! Hope you all have been good and well while i was gone.

2. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Well, fishing epicly failed me today. we spent just about 8 hours down there, and not a single bite. I was very sad about that, but i guess thats just how it goes, but i did see a gar, but it was thrown up on the rocks dead, was sad. But that was my fishing day.

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    you should try about 50yds or so below the steps down river from the cafe there

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    josh what were u using for bait?

5. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Your not going to believe me..but we had three types of bait, Rib Eye steaks, Chicken Liver, and Stink Bait lol. we were going to use my throw net and get live bait, but we forgot in in the garage...

And wheres the Cafe? is it by the boat ramp there?

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    are there any days that you have free to fish during the week? me or fishassassin can take u out and show you a little about getting on some fish.. first thing u need to do is leave the table food at home.......with the stink bait:wink:........... go to the bait shop and get some large minnows and even ask him if you can have the dead ones..and try those if you cant catch your own bait......

7. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    LOL, I'll trade you a ride on the river for ribeyes any day!

It's been hard to find bait at Newburgh dam lately. Baby bluegills worked for at least one guy Friday night.

Was that gar about 4 feet long? If so that might have been mine from Friday! The only fish I caught. :embarassed:

I haven't caught a catfish since the fall fish-off was announced. Fished Patoka Lake, and then was in Houston, TX.:angry:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    roger i want to fish up at the dam with ya sometime.. i havent fished up close to the dam much i would like to ride along if ya dont mind..

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    he fishes just about the same spots i do up there. but he wont show me his honey holes i fished up there friday night with gills i guess he was talking about me lol. i only caught that one channel that hit it harder than that blue did thursday night.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  10. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i Cant really do anything during the week, i've either got school or job hunting..which sucks because so far no where ive applied has even called me, and the steaks were bought from the guy infront of harpps pet store from that big truck thing O_O the 20 for $20 deal thing, grandma cooked a few and my family ate it and didnt like it, so she gave em to me for bait :D so far, uncle has caught 2 fish off it lol

11. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    Dave, you are the guy I was talking about! :smile2: And you never told me you wanted to go to the good spots up there! :smile2:

Adam, we can go fish it sometime. I bet we could catch 'em in the morning after the skippy hatch grows a little larger and the water oxygen gets a little lower downstream, here in a couple weeks.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i thought he fished right up against the dam..

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Josh, the Sportsman Corner here in Henderson sells frozen skipjack and shad. Its located on Green street past the downtown area a few miles.

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Rib eye steaks eh???
    You can come with me sometime. I'll bring the bait, you do the food but bring the USDA prime cuts:wink:

There are so many bait options that would work for you even if you can't get skips or shad. Go and catch a bunch of bluegills, catfish love bluegills, especially the heads. Cut carp will also work. If you get really desperate go to the fish market; squid, shrimp and mackerel all work...W

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  15. newburghcatfish

newburghcatfish New Member

State:
    Newburgh Indiana
    Really hard getting any bait at the dam right now

16. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    all the bait is down deep. in 15 to 20ft of water. he does sometimes. but i fish up by the dam too on the red line when most of the gates are closed.

17. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the difference is he catches fish up there you dont...:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i catch fish up there too just not as many of the big tooth monsters like he catches. i bet that one was a fun haul

19. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    Yeah, it seems like whenever Dave is around, I catch nothing but gars. :smile2:

My boat (and therefore my garage) still reeks from bringing that one on board Friday.

20. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    fished the newburgh area last night .. caught 2 fish bottom bouncing 12" skipjack just below the locks..... also caught 3 blues including the big fish of the night at 30# drifting 27ft of water 1-2 miles below the dam ... bite was really really slow......