Going to Lake Tillery 1-14

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jerry9497, Jan 13, 2007.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    My Wife and I are going to Tillery sunday. I've never been there so any help would be great. Put in what boat ramp? head out which direction? I'm taking cast net but I suc at it, if you see me help me out...lol We will be on 24' Pontoon/Catoon. It looks like a fishing dock with motor on it, no plush furniture on my boat. Were not originaly from here we moved up from Georgia. been here 2 years. I'm still trying to learn the lakes and Tillery, Badin, High Rock, Phillpott and Norman are pretty close,Belews is also but a little crowded. Ive been to phillpott and highrock fishing but never put boat in at Tillery, Badin or Norman. I see alot of guys from BOC fish Tillery so maybe we will see you there.

2. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Put in at Swift Island ramp off Hwy 24/27 and the bait is all in that cove on both sides of the little bridge , then go left out and up river have your anchors ready if their pulling water . I dont really have a awesome spot but always catch cats up river .but rookie12 ,catfishrus,cmj fish there alot those are the guys to listen too, Good Luck.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i'm plannin on hittin tillery the 27th and 28th, i live in fayetteville, so its a bit of a drive for me, but all i hear is good things bout the lake.. might as well go and see for myself... can't wait, i'll throw a post up bout it when the time comes.

4. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    When you come out of swift island (after getting your bait), turn right to go upriver. You should see the 24/27 bridges as soon as you do - head toward them. Try to find fish anywhere from there on up river a few miles. They do move around quite a bit, you just gotta find them (sounds so simple doesn't it?).

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I said left ,sorry i meant right hope that didnt throw you off i probably should of not said anything real sorry .

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey left ant bad either if you know where to go. i ve caught blues from one end to the other this week. everybody runs up river and some do okay and some come back with there tails whipped. i caught 21 blues in one day a few weeks ago down river on a saturday. just helping the striper fisherman out a little. there is blues from one end to the other right now.

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    catfishrus ,I like to drift, but up river has to many rocks and snags the 185 rock area and up to the dam is for anchoring ,We use to drift down from 185 rock but there was to much trash or snags this weekend . I think that was you i saw saturday fishing in a grey lund,

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yea that was me and i wish i had went south that morning too. lots of folks up there and i didnt see much get caught.

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    quick question... i looked on google earth, and it looks like the lake is just a wide section of the river... would it be fit to take a fiberglass boat out there, or is there a bunch of stuff on top the water?... i just don't want to end up with a hole in my boat... lol

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    you could take a Fiberglass boat out on Tillery. no problem. It justs gets a lot of trash in the water when they pull a lot of water. You just need to look out for logs when riding around. If you're heading up river in the dark after rain, you better be going slow. I've bumped a few sticks in there myself. If you fish it enough, you'll find one or two. gearhead, that was me that passed you around 2 PM in the Tracker. looked like you guys were drifting right above the bridge there. I got a 50 lb. blue in that general area last Jan. There's good fishing down that way too. I rode all the way to the dam Sat. I had to do something, the fishing was off bigtime. I got to see catfishrus jr. reel in a blue. It's always cool to see kids catching fish. I meant to tell you Michael to tell Winston good job on those fish he got. My boy's only 5 and he don't like getting out in the winter much. He loves the summer though. He really got hooked on fishing this past summer when we got into some perch on Badin. check the pic out. I cleaned 127 perch that day and fed the whole neighborhood that night. They brought beer and I fried fish!

Attached Files:

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Thanks all,
    Directions were fine gearhead, not hard to tell which way up-river. Not alot of people responded so thanks for your input. We went, was around the 185 rock a while, moved further up river and back down to creek mouth. 1 bite nothing boated. Tillery is a good ride from T-Ville more than 1 1/2 from home. small roads 35-45 speed limit. I went 50 miles on interstate then last 20 miles were slow highways. Is there another way to get there? I guess this is when I say " A bad day fishing beats a good day at work" and I still agree. But a good day fishing is what makes me get up at 5am. so I will return, if it were easy I would go find something else to do. the lake was bigger than I thought, I was expecting a narrow river up stream from 24 but there were plenty of room for fish to hide from me.

12. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Jerry, their is no easy way to tillery. If you live in taylorsville you need to head to statesville, take 70 to salisbury and hit 52 south to 24/27.

13. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    sorry bob, T-ville Tobacoville. Just north of winston salem

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jerry i dont which way you came but there is a by pass around albemarle if took 52 all the way to 24/27 and turned left. you can turn to the left when you first come into albemarle at the mcdonalds on 52 and that will take you around town and come out on 740 andjust take a rt and back to the left at the first light and thats 24/27 going to tillery. might be a small short cut for you. dont have the lights on 24/27 to go thru. might save you 5-10 minutes.

15. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Rookie12 i thought that might be you ,i knew you said you had a white ranger pickup and i think i saw it at the boat ramp but i could'nt remember your boat .We only caught three fish two blues around 10 and one channel about 4 lbs. down river just out the swift island cove the channel came from around the bridge. Was kind of hoping to do better than that kind of practicing for that tourny there. Its not looking to good we would of missed dead line with both blues.

16. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah, sometimes they have a bad attitude down there. If they pull water the fishing is usually pretty good, but if you can only fish if they are pulling water, then it's hit or miss. It's best to know where to find 'em with no current also. That is where the real work begins. It is a big lake, big enough for 'em to hide from me too sometimes. you can't catch 'em every time. see ya