Going to Lake Marion next week---need help

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sclariat, Jul 3, 2007.

1. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Been a lunker on the board for a little while and it sure is informative. Like I said, we are going down to Marion and possibly fish the lower lake some also.

My question is where do you catch bait (shad, herring, and mullet) in both lakes? Just bought a cast net and though we would try to catch some shad or herring. I know absolutely nothing about catching them either or where in the lakes. Need advice or any help possible. We normally buy Herring (can't afford to buy to many of these) and catch Bream.

Thank You ahead of time for all responses!

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Robert. Sorry but I have no info at this time.

3. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The only thing I have ever heard is that you can catch herring at the lower dam with a permit. That is a lot longer way than we want to travel. We will be staying at Hill's on the canal so we will be able to fish either lake. We usually fish the upper lake drifting when we can.

4. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you can find a dock in deep water with a light on, that's a great place to start. You have to be careful because of all the brush people put out. The key I have found is to pull it up half-way down. I lost a net this past week letting it hit the bottom. I have also caught shad in the middle of the day in the river using a net. You can also catch white perch with worms. Try to catch them before the sun comes up.

5. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    A friend of mine found shad in the back off a cove by looking for the "shimmer" of a school of baitfish just below the surface. In one cast he said he caught 10-12 doz. nice 3-4 inch shad.

We fished 7/1 from Packs to I-95 Using live and cut shad and caught 1 small Striper, a 8 lb blue , a 5 lb channel and a 3 ft gar.

We were'nt really fishing hard, it was more of a mid-day to dark pleasure/fish trip fishing several spots as we worked our way back to trailer his boat but the action was steady and had a good time.

He caught his shad in the cove at the Lake Marion Resort near 95. Across the lake from the resort below where the lake cuts through under the bridge is usually a good place to catch bait. As stated in an earlier post take a light rig and fish with worms on the bottom to catch some perch. I usually just tie a simple rig with a couple of split shot on a small hook. Catching bait will keep you busy while you wait for the big bite.

6. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    fish with live perch? If so where do you hook them?
    I know I have usually only used the heads. They sure got some sharp fins!\
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. You'll are a blessing to this old man.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    White Perch live I hook them in the back near the tail or if they are 4 inches or less I hook them through the lips. When I use just the head I hook it through the lips also. They seem to stay on better that way.