Going to FL this christmas

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by J. Percy Priest, Dec 17, 2008.

1. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Well we are heading to florida this christmas around daytona. Does anyone recommend what kind of tackle to bring ( salt and fresh _. We are going for crappie bass and catfish. Never been fishing in florida so it will be our first time.

For saltwater fishing would i need to use a big rod and reel? or would a catfish pole or bass pole work for salties too?

One more thing :D does anyone know the catfishing regulations ( for jugs, like the amount of jugs, the number of hook you can have on them and trotlines.)

Actually one more question :D are there big alligator gars near daytona or orange lake

Any help would be awesome :big_smile:

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Why don't you try doing a search for Florida DNR,and see what you can find out. That's what I do when I have a question about fishing in another state. Hope this helps you get some answers to your questions.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What kind of saltwater fishing are you planning to do? Saltwater tackle can range from bream/crappie pole to something you can barely physically handle. (I've broken 100# test line when bottom fishing.) If you plan on fishing from a partyboat (headboat), I recommend that you rent their tackle, including an electric reel. No, it doesn't 'winch' the fish in; you probably won't pull in a fish in any faster with an electric reel than with a manual reel, but when you're fishing a couple of hundred feet deep, it makes rebaiting much faster and easier. The small extra cost is definitely worth the extra time with bait on the bottom. And after all, that's what you're paying for.

4. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    well that was good info, i have been searching for the catfishing regulations and find everything but them. I was just told we arent going salt fishing because our reels are too small, i was just hoping to get the smaller size saltwater fish that are in the shallow end from shore.. maybe ranging from a skipjack size to a bass size. So i will make sure to keep the gear rinsed off when i do so. I saw some guys on a boat that was using like a crane arm winch type thing to pull in those grouper fish.. man them things are huge...

We are leaving tonight :D we will make sure to ask around about the jug regulations before we fill the area up :D... but i thought i read you cant use whole bream as bait except on R&R? i hope that is not true.. whole bream is one of our staple baits

5. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida
    I don't know if you're still in Florida but I figured I'd reply just in case. Here's the reg. (It's pretty restrictive............)

No jugs and no bream on anything other than rod and reel. Florida considers bream gamefish.

Methods of Taking Freshwater Fish (Up to Index)

Game fish and nongame fish may be taken with pole and line or rod and reel. There is no limit on the number of rods an angler may use.
    Freshwater fish may not be taken by use of any free-floating, unattached device, or by use of firearms, explosives, electricity, spear gun, poison or other chemicals. The taking of fish by underwater swimming or diving is prohibited. It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale or transport out of the state any freshwater game fish unless specifically permitted by the FWC, except that licensed anglers may transport two days' bag limit of legally harvested game fish.
    It is illegal to possess any freshwater fish along with gear that cannot legally be used to take freshwater fish, including gear types listed above and below for taking nongame fish or bait. An exception is game fish may be possessed together with cast nets having a stretched mesh size not greater than 1 inch; minnow dip nets not more than 4 feet in diameter; minnow seines having a stretched mesh size not greater than 1 inch, a length not more than 20 feet and a depth not more than 4 feet; and minnow traps not more than 24 inches in length and 12 inches in diameter, with a funnel entrance not more than 1 inch in spread.
    It is illegal to fillet or remove the head or tail fin of black bass, striped bass, white bass, Sunshine bass (striped bass x white bass hybrid), peacock bass, black crappie and panfish (where special black crappie or panfish size or bag limits are in effect) until after you have completed fishing for the day.
    Nongame fish may be taken:
    By bush hook, setline or trotline baited with cut bait or other substance; but not including live game fish or any part of any game fish; bush hooks, setlines or trotlines (limited to 25 hooks total) are permitted for taking nongame fish for personal use, but only in those areas where trotlines may be lawfully used in accordance with the Wildlife Code of the State of Florida. Refer to the Commercial Freshwater Fisheries Rules and Regulations Summary.