Going to buy new rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by preshrd3cpy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Ok new to catfishing and what to buy new poles what do you prefer? I am using ugly stick 7 ft med heavy..:embarassed:

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Really depends on what you are needing? Do you need to throw a pound of weight and bait a mile? Then a longer rod is needed. If you dont need to cast to far and the weight is manageable then your current rod should do.

I personally use an 8ft mh catclaw made by eagle claw. Its an inexpensive rod but it gets the job done. I want to get an 8ft mh waterclaw. It has a few more eyes to help with the casting and a cork handle. I have used various lengths but I really like 8ft. I have a longer one 10' or 12' but I dont use it to much. No situation where it is needed.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't get me wrong cause I still luv my uglies, but Team Catfish and CatfishSafari both have rods that are well worth exploring. Team Catfish has the 3/4 Ton and 1 Ton rods that will handle just about anything you'll hook in catfish, while the CatfishSafari has the Flathead rod which is also awesome. I use both and I'd be hardpressed to give either up. Check them both out and then you make the call. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    That's what I use and many others also. They are a excellent rod and you could actually stick with it and spend your money in another areas....if ya wanted to that is.

The exception would be if the rod that your currently using isn't handling the weight your trying to use, then it would be best to find a more suitable rod for your needs.

5. zacat

zacat New Member

State:
    El Dorado, kansas
    berkleyjust brought back the e cat they are alittle pricey but realy good poles

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I prefer Berkely ECats myself.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I know a guy who has seen the new Ecats and he said they are just as good as the old ones.Thats a rarity nowadays if thats true.He said it was around 79.00

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I believe if I bought rods over again, I'd go with the Ugly Stick Tigers.

Bill in SC

9. MOCatdaddy

MOCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Missouri

Big game, king kat, glowstick, those would be the highly used ones.:wink:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I like the black and pink safari myself. :tounge_out: no really I do they are just right :cool2: just don't tell anyone.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How much do you want to spend on rods.

Ugly stick tigers 55 bucks
    Berkley e-cats 70 bucks
    team catfish 100 bucks
    the boss rods 72 bucks
    catfish safari rods ???
    surge 69-77 bucks
    nite stick pro series 33-40 bucks
    glowsticks 30-40 bucks
    Thats just some of the top brands. I have not used all of these personally but going by the reviews on what I have read here and from friends, there are all good rods. Just depends on what you need and want. These prices came from .................

12. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you are wanting a rod you can do alot more than bank fish I would look into a ToughStick! I like it because you can do anything with it and I promise you will be very happy with it. Ive landed everything from a 170ld allagator gar with it to a 34lb blue. It will hold up to alot of punishment. I hope this helps everyone has there go to rod this is mine. They come is 9ft and 10ft.

13. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I haven't tried all the brands but do admit to being an equipment junkie. Most of my fishing is for channel cats and Ugly Stiks work well for me. They're tough, affordable and have good action.

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tiger Rods.
    The E-Cat is purrrty nice too.

15. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    haven't done the whole team catfish rods yet but i have 2 flathead rods and one channel cat rod from catfish safari and i love them all. definitely woth the money

16. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i've used them but at the time i bought mine they were still using cheep guides and i didn't care for the fast action tip. thats why i ended up getting the safari rods. don't get me wrong they are a good rod just depends on your preference. good fishing

17. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I just bought 2 8' Berkley Glowsticks casting rods. I am waiting on them at the moment. I would love to give them a try this weekend. I will let you know how I make out.