Going to be sick

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by cepierce, Aug 4, 2008.

1. cepierce

cepierce New Member

State:
    Scott AFB
    :embarassed:
    Howdy, I thought I was going to reel the big one in Sat. night. I caught a 3+ pounder at Carlyle the other night and then had one on my line that I worked with for 45 minutes until my line broke. I wanted to puke!! I was so sick and disappointed. My adrenalin was pumping.
    I then went after him again and think it was the same one by the fight. This time I fought him for 15 minutes and had him just below the surface as I reached for my gloves to have ready. As I did that I must have let a little slack in the line. I kept praying to Jesus....Please let me get this one...please.. Then as I was about to pull him to surface he got off of my hook. What a dis appointment. Once again I was sick.
    I was using a medium sized hook (3/0) and 10 lb. test spider wire.
    Should I go to a heavier line 20 lb.?
    And what about treble hooks to keep him on. Thanks for any help. I am still so sick. I have caught large Salmon in Alaska, but nothing any bigger than 5 lb. down here. Really thought that Sat. night was going to be it.
    Thanks, Chad

2. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Chad, I would go to 20# test. Cats are usually not line shy so for me I usually go with 20# even if they cats are not that big. Sounds like you have learned that you never know when a big one is going to come knock'n at your door. As for hook size a strong sharp 3/0 may work with a good hook up but a 4/0 or 5/0 might be a little better all depending on what the average size is for the fish you are after. Just make sure you have good point exposure with the bait on it to assure a good hook up... Hope I have been of help to ya. Now go get him again!!!

3. ROB_STANG2000

ROB_STANG2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I USE A 20# LINE AND A 4/0 HOOK HAVE NOT FOUND A MONSTER YET, BUT I WILL BE READY WHEN HE COMES. WHAT PART OF THE LAKE DID YOU FISH?

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    8/0 circle hook and 80 lb Power Pro Braid, 50 lb mono leader, thats what I fish with. I'll have 65 lb. mono leader when I can find it.

5. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I use 30# line and 10/0 circle hook and cut bait if I can get it.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    this has happened to me.. and anymore if I think its a great catch. I've gotten in the habit of repeatably sinking the hook. with big bait and the powerful surge of a big fish, I think the hook isn't as well set as you'd think.
    prob one of these days goin' to lose a monster in this repeated hooking procedure- but I figure better to lose it at once than after you've fought for an hour and was droolin' over the fish of a lifetime.

also thinking that trebles it did seem to help a little for me IMHO... and about the one you missed in your hand- did you have a net? that might help a little- I've noticed sometimes that right as the come to shore is a tough time, with a steep rod angle and trying to grab the monster- you can give easily give a little too much slack.

not so sure why changing line would help, unless your fish was breaking it? anyway, look around- you're NOT alone, lots of people reporting missing hooked fish. it happens to the best of anglers occasionally...

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Like the others, I use at least 20#line. I like 6/0 circle hooks. It is rare for one to get off a good circle hook hookup. And, it is rare to gut hook using circles.

8. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I use 65# Power Pro Braid and anywhere from 4/0 to 7/0 hooks and still will loose the big ones ocassionally. Wish I could tell you what the perfect setup is. I've tried what others have said is the perfect setup and they were not all that perfect for me. I guess the perfect setup is what you find that works for you.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hey Chad,

For Carlyle Lake, I have found good luck with 3/0 Lazer Sharps by Eagle Claw that they sell at Walmart. I run them on my jugs and have rod and reel fished with them quite well. I am a big fan of them as all I have ever pulled in from Carlyle have been channel cats. Not to say that flats and such aren't in there, but the channel population seemed to be pretty good (at least last year!). This year, I have only gone to Carlyle twice and both times had been some really hard fishing. Not sure what the deal is with that lake or if anyone is really doing any good there. I am really disappointed in the fishery there this year in comparisson to last year, thats for sure.

By the way, if anyone finds two neat jugs lost in the lake that says my name on it, you can keep them. Aaron Lands and I got hit by a storm and 2 were unreachable if we wanted to live! :smile2:

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yeah, when that storm came in last night I got flashbacks!

11. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    haha i got nailed in the mouth with a 2 oz weight and busted my lip.Bigeest fish my cousin had caught the hook popped at the bank and the weight flew a like a bat out of he!!.I went back 10 minutes later after it stopped bleeding and caught a biggger one!!!Good fishing to you:wink:

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds like you had a fight with one of the many big ol flaties that lurk the depths, what type of eel and rod you running, bait caster, then yes go to atleast 20 and up your hook size if you are going to target the flathead, other wise you may be overkill for channel and the occasional flat that happens along. Just my $0.01 on it, i run 80# braid and 7-10/0 hooks when baiting for the flaties in Carlyle.......... like later tonight :big_smile:

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've heard of using braid on the mainline and a mono leader. Why is that?

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    30 pound test/6/0-8/0 circle hook for lake fishing. Treble hooks are no good for catching big cats. They swallow that darn thing and then you got a mess. Good luck

15. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chad, What part of the lake were you fishing. My buddy who fishes it regularly has been catching them north of the railroad in the stumps/stickups by the island.

16. cepierce

cepierce New Member

State:
    Scott AFB
    Hello IDW45, I have been fishing the North side of the tracks. I put in at Boulder ramp. That way I don't strain my super powerful 1970's model 18 HP motor that runs like a gas trolling motor.:0a22:

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Braid for the main line because it has zero stretch (helpful for hooksets) and is strong with a small diameter (especially helpful river fishing with strong currents).

Mono is more abrasion resistant so you use that for your leader. Most folks use a lighter test leader so that it breaks before your expensive braid.

Hope that answered your question.

18. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree...but i actually stepped up to 30# powerpro invisible braid.....but you know...i like 20# cajun line as my leader....1 for the abrasion factor and 2 for the zero memory...it acts just like a braid in the summer.....i dunno....but yeah...i wouldn't hunt the bigguns with a treble unless i'm willing to clean a 20+# catfish at 3 am....lol.....