Going to be at the Salt all weekend from fri-mon

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by anakin, Oct 10, 2008.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Going up with my friend Eric who also posts on here. Going to be the same spot I told Antonio about. Last parking lot down the steps. Wish us luck. Probably going to be the my last chance this year to catch a big one. If anyones out there , be sure to stop by & say hello...

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Dwaine, I believe i know the spot you are talking about, I will be anxious to hear your report. At least you should be protected from the wind somewhat in that area.

3. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Fri night - Weather was warm and a little windy. It ended up storming but never got cold. Didn't have much luck at the end of Eucalyptus.

Saturday - We hit up Roosevelt & got some gills which I thought was a promising sign, but still had no luck. Cold front must of moved it because it was freezing that night.

Sunday - Did some exploring on the river & found a few nice spots on the road to Eads that look to be very promising in the future ! That night we fished the new spots in the freezing cold. Eric had one good run but I dont think he set the hook very well & the fish got off. We ended up leaving at around midnight

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Glad to hear you got out there Anakin. I haven't been near the diversion dam lately, latest in August and got skunked there except for some small channel action. I really enjoy fishing there in late fall/early winter when the banks are empty and the fish are all still there.

5. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I would love to do some early winter fishing but i cant seem to enjoy myself when its freezing.

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Haha... I know I'm saying that I like to go at that time now....

But I also know that when I'm setting baits and I can't feel my fingers I will be cursing myself.

Personally, I can't stand the cold weather. Anywhere.

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Dwaine, thanks for the report. I thought I was going to do an overnighter in same area. As it turns out I am going down in the morning early and spend the day. I will be going to Eads Wash to start with. There is a spot about 1/2 mile past Eads Wash that looks good but I have not had too much luck there yet except smaller channel cats. Tomorrows goal is to see if the water level on the down side of Eads wash will allow me to drop my small boat in,next week. Tomorrow will be shore fishing only. There are a couple other areas i want to check for shore fishing also. Believe me when this cold front came thru I was thinking of you guys. It is okay if you are ready for the cold but the temps dropped more than expected. Mike

8. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Azcataholic - That sounds fun. I have friends who grew up in Globe who say the best hole they know of on the river is down from Eads wash and is a couple mile hike back. Maybe its the same spot you thinking about.

Im sure ur heart was with us as we froze & you were in your cozy warm bed. lol

Silenced - Frozen fingers is no fun !

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Dwaine, i'll give you a personal message where this spot is. I know alot of local guys know, i just think the visitors on the site don't need to know it if they won't commit to the group. I'll post a report in a day or so.Stay warm!:smile2:

10. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Hit me with the PM. I dont have a boat though, dont know if i'll ever get out there. I'll also let you know the promising spot I found this weekend. You might already be aware about it if you've researched the river alot.

11. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    <lol> cold, what did the temps get down to there in AZ? 70 :eek:oooh:

Just messing with ya guys:big_smile: Hope you catch many on your next outing.

12. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ya know, its weird. Ive been all over the world and been in all kinds of weather, but nothing cuts through you like the cold winds out in the desert. Seems hard to beileve, but its true. It may only be 50 degrees but it feels like its -40.
    It must be the dry air or the fact that we are acclimated to triple digit temps or something.

13. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I have been to Phoenix and Tuscon often through out the years. The desert can and does get very chilly. Most people don't think so that don't live there so I had to throw that joke:smile2: The nights have been in the 40's here and my big butt isn't acclamated to it just yet so I haven't been fishing the past couple of nights:crazy:

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Yep Dwaine, i got there this morning about 6:30 at eads wash and it was still cold with a light breeze. Today I had time some i checked a couple of spots. I went to the small cove next to the bridge and stayed until dusk, no big happenings today.

15. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.

What did you use for bait? Did you catch anything by the bridge? I always wondered what it was like up there but never enough to try.

16. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    The cove near the Roosevelt bridge you can walk down to easily on a paved closed road, Did not catch anything except 3 or 4 bluegill. Knowing the deep water and how is shallows up, with bluegill in the cove i may have to try it overnight sometime. The path beyond the cove is pretty brushy so did not go around closer to the dam, this time.

17. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I always wonder about that place every time I drive by there. I had a co worker tell me that was more or less his favorite spot to fish. I never see anyone there so I just kind of assumed it would be too deep.

18. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Actually with the water level dropping a little the sandy area beyond the cove is exposed. I am going to keep checking on it. It appears to be a shelf area which may be good cruising grounds for cats.

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck brother, let us know how it turns out