Going Striper fishing tuesday

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    guided trip on texoma...any words of wisdom, hints, and advice?

my first guided trip of any kind.:)

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Phil, I have no words of wisdom but all I can say is good luck brother, there are some bigguns out there.
    The wife brought in a nice 5 lb striper at our gathering and I saw a few more that were brought in that were over 5 lb's. Texoma is a striper lake.
    How long is your guide keeping you out fishin ?

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    If the guide is any good my best advice is ask lots of questions. You can learn a lot and use his techniques on your home waters. Even if all you catch is stripers the knowledge you learn in many cases will translate to catfishing also. Have fun and take some pics.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I booked a guided striper trip at Raystown lake, P.A. I also fish for striper in my home state. If you get to a school of them hitting top water plugs it is like no other fishing. It can be very fast pace and every cast can yeild a fish. Make sure you set your drag properly (very important) as you must allow the striper to strip line in order to wear them out a little. If you never caught any striper before then I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil,

I bet you'll be in for the time of your life. They grow em big in TX... well, OK too. ;)

I had just a taste of what it's like catching a Striper the other day when I caught a 7 lb Hybrid on crappie gear. They are fighters.

A good guide is the way to go.

Good luck, I'll be looking for pics!

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    thanks, Dayton - i will try to remember the camera:)

7. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Be ready and have the gear in hand they like to swim right at you some times so you need to pick up the slack quickly. Good luck looking forward to some great pics.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Phil, best advice anyone can take with them. LISTEN. LISTEN to what the guide has to say. A lot of times, they can give you just a little bit of help that will make ALL the difference in catching and not catching.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good luck , wish I was going. have fun, take pictures.

10. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Good luck Phil, have fun and catch some bigguns, don't forget the camera. :)

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well, i am back. we got up at 2:30am this morn and drove to pottsboro and mill creek marina. we were on the water at 6:30. a weather front was moving in, and it slowed down the action considerably, or so we were told. pretty decent guide. he baited our hooks (3 of us) and took the fish off for us - i kept trying to do it myself, but he wouldn't let me:sad:

we didn't catch any big ones, the biggest was maybe 6 or 7lbs. i caught the first, the biggest, and the most. our guide cleaned the fish at the boat slip, and while we were waiting i took a few of the remaining shad and put them just off the bottom at the slip. caught a nice little 5lb channel:)

my brother and his buddy wasn't interested in taking pics, and i only got a few. i'll try to post a couple of them when i get them to cd.

the front made for rough water. the wind got quite chilly. we limited out by 9:30 or 10. i must have caught 35 or 40 fish today....i plan on going back under better conditions.

12. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I wish the weather had been better for ya Phil, but it sounds like you still had a good day. :)

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I must have missed this post while I was in Florida.

Glad you caught some, I bet they gave you a good fight.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    There great fighters. WE have plenty of there here below the dam on The Tn river at Pickwick.
    Now I just need to learn more ways to catch them. Got to see a In_Fisherman show where they were running planer boards right near the tree tops and wearing the big ones out on the Cumberland.
    Now that is what I would like to learn.
    Pete

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    glad you caught fish. i really like to bait my own hook though. the first time i went deep sea fishing the mate was supposed to take everyones fish off and bait everyones hook for them . he got a little pissy but he never got to touch my fish or my bait.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Advice - most definetly... don't go... you are supposed to be a catman.

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    here is the boat we went on. it was a falcon, and very roomy and stable. and pic of my cat too:)

Attached Files:

18. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Good lookin boat!

19. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Phil, sounds like ya had a good time. Limit by 9:30 or 10:00 am. Not too bad there. Nice channel also. Did ya have the guide clean that one too ?
    How'd those fish taste Phil, did ya grill'em or fry'em ?
    I'd like to have caught half as many as you did. At the grathering this year I barely even got a line wet it was so windy up there.
    Thanks for sharing.

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    oh yeah, Tod - he cleaned all of 'em. i fried them - don't trust my grilling skills(or lack of them) with good fish like that:)