Going out for first time in 2006 in Nebraska

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by douglas_413, Apr 4, 2006.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think I will be going out on friday to try for some on the Missouri River. I will probably be fishing up by Decatur. Any advice on what bait I should use?

2. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hi
    From what Ive heard, Havent been able to try yet, I would probably be using fresh shad for blues this early in the year. I also plan to make a trip to the missouri river soon so would love to hear how you did and if you find anyting that is working yet!

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I'D try cut bait or live blue gills.for flathead live bait works real good.good luck,keep us posted.hope you catch a big one.:)

4. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Good luck.
    I've been out on the river a couple times this year, but I've been skunked so far.
    I haven't gone back out since the corps raised the river to navagiable levels yet, so..... hopefully this weekend my dryspell will end (crosses fingers).
    Fresh cut shad is my bait of choice on the river this time of year, but I might get some sunfish this weekend to see what the flathead bite is like.

5. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    its still pretty early and alot of dead shad are still in rivers and reservoirs i would use old frozen chubs and shad and present them on the bottom, a prime area would be around a warm water outlet such as a feeder creek, hell if it's big enough i would fish about 100 yards up the creek.

6. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well I didn't get to go as the weather wasn't to great and the wife had me doing housework. I will let you all know as soon as I get to hit the river!

7. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    joseph, hit me up when your ready to go. :)

8. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well, I finally made it out on the big MO river friday afternoon through night. I did catch some channel cats but nothing to brag about. All of them were under a pound. I was really suprised when I didn't catch any carp or drum.

I tried chicken liver(cured), night crawlers, and a sticky bait. I also used a 2" channel cat that I snagged. The only thing that had any action was the crawlers.

Maybe next time I go out they will be a bit more hungry.