Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
though I can not fish late as I have to be at work at 05:30 I will stay a few hours. I got my hands on some Skippys (THANKS TO ANOTHER MEMBER) and I am going to try a little of it out. Wonder if the stripers will like it the way they do bream? Guess Ill report back in tomorrow.

· Registered
7,302 Posts
though I can not fish late as I have to be at work at 05:30 I will stay a few hours. I got my hands on some Skippys (THANKS TO ANOTHER MEMBER) and I am going to try a little of it out. Wonder if the stripers will like it the way they do bream? Guess Ill report back in tomorrow.

Good luck brother. The stripes like the skips just fine

· Registered
5,832 Posts
the yella cats will bite it,katmax got one on skip last night,we did'nt get any stripes though,5 yellas and a channel.at roopville. good luck tonight

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, gotta figure. Any evening fishing beats an evening sitting and watching tv. Ill let you know how I do.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last night was a bust. I plan to go back this evening, I did catch two stripers but they were on the smaller size. Bream traps work great. Made it by the plans on here that I found and it worked out great!! Top anyone that fishes with bream these are a must have!!!

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Catching bream or any other gamefish in traps is illegal in Georgia. You can only use them for bait if they are caught with a rod and reel.
Yep, guess I should have been clear on that. Im not using the bream in the Hooch, only bream used in the Hooch is what I do catch on rod and reel from the Hooch. I guess that post WAS a little misleading.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Catching bream or any other gamefish in traps IN PUBLIC WATER is illegal in Georgia. You can only use them for bait IN PUBLIC WATER if they are caught with a rod and reel.

How's that Slayer? LMAO!
Ok if I am understanding this correct...........I catch my bream in PRIVATE WATERS, this means I can use them as bait in PRIVATE WATERS?

· Registered
5,832 Posts
live bream are sold as bait in bait stores ,with the proper permitt from the state.the bream has to come from private waters.you still can't possess over your legal limit,regardless,while on public waters.

· Registered
3,302 Posts
live bream are sold as bait in bait stores ,with the proper permitt from the state.the bream has to come from private waters.you still can't possess over your legal limit,regardless,while on public waters.
I've never heard of a bait shop selling live bream for bait. Do you know where one is?

Selling Fish

Game Fish

It is unlawful for any person to sell or purchase any game fish, except under the following conditions:

• Game fish may be sold by commercial fish hatcheries, wholesale and retail fish dealers, and pond owners (see following paragraph) who conform to the Game and Fish Code.
  • Game fish from a pond may be sold when the owner of the pond has obtained a valid permit from the Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Section and the permit is displayed in a prominent place at the pond. A permit will be issued only once annually and limits the time for taking fish from the pond to 15 days. Permit applications require two weeks to process. To transport game fish taken from the pond, the fish must be packaged and labeled with the permit number and the number and pounds of each species contained in the package. Fish must remain so packaged until processed for consumption or released into another pond.
  • Game fish shipped into Georgia may be lawfully transported, sold, and resold provided each person in possession of said game fish has an authentic bill of sale or lading which details the source of the fish and the species, number, and pounds of the fish.

· Registered
3,302 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I don't think bait shops are wholesale or retail fish dealers. Like I said, I've never seen a bait shop that sells live bream for bait. I also don't think you can catch bream in a private pond and then use them for bait in PUBLIC water.

· Registered
5,832 Posts
. I also don't think you can catch bream in a private pond and then use them for bait in PUBLIC water.
the way it was explained to me was,you could but you had to obey the possession laws.that coming from the local GW.I COULD BE WRONG TOO,I HAVE BEEN IN THE PAST,I THINK.LOL
but IF that is the case,nearly everyone i know that flat fishes breaks the law.

· Registered
3,302 Posts
Well, seeing as how we are forced to use bream for bait on West Point due to the shad kill, it would be great if I could use bream caught in private ponds or just go and buy 50 from a bait shop anytime I need some. It's been taking me 2 or 3 hours every afternoon to catch a limit out of West Point with crickets. LOL

· Registered
5,832 Posts
Well, seeing as how we are forced to use bream for bait on West Point due to the shad kill, it would be great if I could use bream caught in private ponds or just go and buy 50 from a bait shop anytime I need some. It's been taking me 2 or 3 hours every afternoon to catch a limit out of West Point with crickets. LOL
he charged .25 each,and they were small,so i never bothered with them.if i could'nt catch bait,i'd just buy goldfish,big ones.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.