Going on a trip... help

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by Big Nick, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I've made trips to Ontario canada for Walleye and Pike before, but it was always in the middle of the summer. This year I am going the first week of june. I was hoping to get some ideas and pointers to put me headed in the right directions in regards to my tackle. In the past orange/golds/ and pinks have worked well in regards to color. What are your thoughts on the matter? What tackle should I be stocking up on and what major changes will I see in the fishes behavior compared to fishing in the middle of the summer. Please keep in mind I am from Texas and rarely get to do this. Thanks to all

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I don't know about Canada but my dad spent the weekend on Lake Erie and they were hammering them. They caught 34 on Saturday. They were using 3 inch white curly tails, tipped with a nightcrawler. I don't know if that will help you but it's what they were doing.

3. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Thanks for the info, keep it coming!

4. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Well Nick, I don't know much about Walleye, (a fact I intend to change on my next trip to the USA) but 2 things that have worked for me in the past with PIKE are (1) I use DRIFTER floats on stillwaters:

These are VERY effective tools for covering large areas of water, just make sure the wind is BEHIND you.

(2) I colour my LIVEBAITS using food dye (available at any supermarket, Wal-mart etc.) We all know the best livebait is goldfish, but that's ILLEGAL so colouring livebaits caught at the venue is a pretty good simulation. I find (obviously) ORANGE to be the best one.

Another thing to keep an eye out for (respect to my workmate Mark for this one) is each one you catch, check them over from top to bottom for TEETHMARKS. If they DO have any on them, it's a sign of a lack of PREY because they're feeding on each OTHER and that means it's time to get out the LURES.

Hope this helps bud.

Tight lines & good luck.

5. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Thanks for the info. Nice pike you got there!