Going noodling for my first time, Please help me!

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Larry Beever, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I'm going this Saturday 8/30. I've made plans for this two monts ago. The guy I'm going with
    supposedly has a lot of experience doing this.
    But now I find myself becoming very nervous
    about it. I'm hoping that some of you guys
    might be able to settle my nerves. I think my main worry is that I might put my hand in the
    face of a large snapping turtle and loose a finger or two in the process. Is this likely to happen? I'm not in fear of sticking my hand through a big cats mouth. I'ts the snappers that I fear the most. Please give me any advice that you may have A.S.A.P. please. No matter what, I'm going to do it! Thanks

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anything is possible . Your going with someone who has experience ? If so he can possibly help you out of a jam . Not Always . Some waters are more prone to snappers than others . It might help to have HIS Assurance he's experienced and has noodled where you are going . Nothing is a gaurentee though Good luck .

3. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    My bro from OK says that there is no guarantees but one thing he does know is that if you reach your hand in and the hole goes up its a beavers nest watch out no kittys there, and if its down your atleast in the right direction thats all I know I hope it helps

4. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Always find some way to look on the bright side to settle your mind about the other things... let's see... there's probably not any alligators where you're going right? :wink:

Just teasing you. Looking forward to your report and pictures :) Have fun and stay safe :)

5. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've been noodling catfish for close to 20 years and have never been bit by a turtle, beaver, snake or anything else except catfish. Turtles can't live underwater and neither can snakes while there could be one in a hole I don't think its likely. As long as the hole you're in stays underwater you'll be alright. If you are catching flatheads I wouldn't be worried at all, because they aren't all that mean, I've ran my hand down the sides of some big ones and they never moved. I think blues are funner to catch because they are a lot more aggressive. Good Luck, hope you get to tangle with a big one.

6. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Ease into it, bro. You`ll soon see it is a lot more scary sounding than it actually is. If there is any clarity to the water, look for a 'dusted off' entrance. That is a clear indication of cats coming and going.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    the thing that bothered me the most was going deep into a bank on cole camp creek wasnt uncommon to find a hole in a bank 5 to 10 feet back wow is it dark lol and thinking what if the bank caves in lol

worse thing you can do is jerk away real fast when you feel 1 he will spook and try to get out, just be easy and grab his jaw or let him bite ya and hold him .

flatheads most wont hurt ya its the big blues that will

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    good luck man,have fun.

9. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I've been noodlin for 20 years and have only felt aturtle one time it was in a nest full of eggs with no fish at home what you have to remember is if a big ole flat is on a nest a turtle a'int nothing but bait anyway:cool2:

10. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Well guys, I was rather dissapointed in the
    results of my trip. We went to a creek that I could see was'nt ideal for noodling. The water was'nt nearly as deep as I thought it should be. Two to four feet deep at the most. I was glad however to find that I had no problem sticking my hand into any potiential spot that I found.
    I was anxious at that point to get a hold on anything. I'm feel confidend that I have the guts to do it now. And that's what I mostly wanted to prove to myself. But, The next time I do it, I'm going to make sure that I go somewhere that I KNOW there's game likely.
    Thanks for all of your replys! I'm sure that in the future I'll have pics from my trips.
    You guys inspire me to do better on my own.
    Thanks!

11. sigmanusportsman

sigmanusportsman New Member

State:
    Texas (living in AR)
    The best places I have found to noodle is on a rock outcropping on a clay bottom at a local lake back home, Wright Patman. The rocks provide good holes for the cats. I usually run my hand flat along the bottom until I can actually feel the fish. By doing this it didn't give any straight shot for a turtle to bite my fingers.

12. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Is noodling legal on Wright Patman? Im pretty sure that lake is entirely in the state of Texas. I used to fish the sulfur below the WP spillway. Nice cats there for sure.

13. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Hey Larry it might not of been your location as much as timing noodling has been over here since the middle of july water temps determine when the spawn is on deep water warms slower ideal temps are 75 to 80 for flatheads

14. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep, the fishing definitely slows for us around the middle of July. That's usually when we hang it up until next year.

Try it in mid-June next year, about the time the water hits 82 degrees. Much more productive.