Going in the morning river is raising

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by beagle777, Aug 28, 2009.

1. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    Going to fish the Mississippi tomorrow. What kind of water should I look for fishing a fast rise (3 feet in two days). I have alway caught good numbers of eaters fishing these conditions but Iwould like to get fewer but bigger ones.
    Thanks for any and all hints.
    On a different note I have been getting shad with a throw net by looking where the herons were feeding.
    My hint for those who are having trouble finding shad.:big_smile:

2. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome Mike! If I just wanted to catch eaters I would fish backwaters, scours, brush piles and the channel ledges. But if I wanted bigger fish I would try the creek mouths and the deep edge of the gravel bars, and keep a bait in the seam, another on the outside another on the inside. :wink: Big cats move around alot when the waters coming up. Find a spot where you are getting bit, set and be patient. Another tip that works for me is to switch from a slip rig to a three way fixed sinker rig to keep your bait off the bottom, when the bigger fish are moving around alot they will find your bait easier. Works better for me when there is a fast rise.

3. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    Went out on the Miss. Sat. and got a few shad for bait with the cast net and had a carp jump into the boat all set for bait.
    Started out fishing at the mouth of a creek, not long though becausr of all the trash coming out of it.
    Went to the south end of an island and started getting bites most 2-5 lbs mostly channels, 1 flat a couple blues, one 7 1/2.
    Then about 11:30 am things slowed down.I was thinking about calling it a day and start to work on the duck blind when my oldest pole gets hammered it was under spooled, from a baitcaster lesson for my 12 year old.
    I set the hook and it didn't even slow it down after about a 20 yard run it turned and started upstream after a good fight I got it in the boat a 27lbs blue.
    This is my PB. Caught on an old bait caster I bought for bass fishing in the 80's.
    I want to thank everyone on this site because of the info on this site has helped me have the best year of fishing yet.
    Oh by the way I CPRed this fish and as soon as my nephew finds out how to download pic from cellphone I will post one.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Congrats on the new PB! Keep it up and you'll break 50 before ya know it!

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on the PB, the bigger boys are comin :big_smile:

6. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    I wish I had a better picture but bad pictures are better than none.

Attached Files:

7. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congrats, nothin' more fun than fighting a biggin' ! My wife Lisa and I were on the Illinois yesterday. Caught a few eaters. Lisa had a slammer that unfortunately didn't make it to the boat. Broke off. Just a reminder to always check that line, leader and knot before you put it back in the water. Had we done so, Lisa may have had her PB. :sad2: