Going Ice Fishing Again!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by martinman, Feb 16, 2007.

1. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    So I figured I would let everyone know that I went out to the local lake this afternoon and the ice is still pretty thick. I checked the spots where I had made holes in the ice and it is still cold enough that they are frozen back over.

I am hoping to be able to try some ice fishing in the next couple days during the late afternoon and evening for the cats and see if my luck will improve. I will let you know. I think it would be pretty cool to have my first catfish of the year being caught on the ice.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Ryan

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Ice fishing looks tough....
    You got to be a pretty good shot to get your bait to land in one of those little holes...
    :roll_eyes: :big_smile:
    Don't forget to get some pictures.

Take care~
    A~

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Ice and fishing are words that don't go together in my vocabulary! It would be awesome to pull a cat out of an ice hole though. Good luck, take pics!!!

4. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    i miss ice fishing...its the only thing i miss about north dakota

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Good luck to ya and be careful!:cool2:

6. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Although today was pretty warm outside, the ice has still been fairing well.

Antonio, just think of it this way...there are always times where we can expand our vocabulary :lol: . Its all good. I think the temps here in Flagstaff reached about 55 degrees and I had the windows open in the house and was wearing shorts. It felt nice.

I will let you guys know how things turn out. I am hoping to go out either Monday or Tuesday afternoon and stay until about 8pm or so. By that time it will be getting really cold and I don't think building a fire on the ice would be strongly recommended.

Ryan

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    All AZ catters,

One recommendation...when going ice fishing, make sure that you dress warm when the wind is blowing...I kinda froze last night.

At any rate, I had an enjoyable time even though I did not catch anything to brag about. The catfish seem to be non-reactive although I managed to find out that the crayfish are quite active. I rebaited several times thanks to them.

I have attached some pictures. I hope that it gives you a feel for what kind of experience I had. The first set of pictures were from 3 weeks ago after a snow storm. The second set of pictures are from last night. Enjoy!!

Ryan

Attached Files:

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Here is the second set of pictures. What do you think of the sunset? It is not the greatest, but not bad for a windy, cold night.

Ryan

Attached Files:

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Your Crazy Ryan...
    * I don't think I will ever complain about a cold night at Bartlett again...
    LOL.

Glad you got to get out!
    A~

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Great pictures Ryan thanks for sharing!!

11. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ryan.......great pictures. My toes got frosty just looking at then. Brought back some great memories of fishing with my Dad on Little Jesse lake in Minnesota. Thanks.........Rick

12. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    damn i miss ice fishin

13. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I have to tell you guys that it has been a long time since my toes were that cold. I remember when I was younger I got frostbite on my left foot and the memories came flooding back. After I got home from fishing it took about 20 minutes for my toes to thaw...but no frostbite.

Ultimately it was a memorable experience...not real rewarding with fish, but rewarding with thoughts and memories.

Ryan

14. ftnahaf

ftnahaf New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Stay warm and the best of luck . Good pic`s of the the lake .

15. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    good luck to you .and have fun.