Going Flathead catfish hunting Musk river tonight before the rain

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by loanwizard, Sep 27, 2006.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Gotta get a couple before the rain and cold front hits. Will be on the Musk at Coshocton approx 5pm -11pm.

Jack?
    Tony?
    Travis?
    May fish from boat or shore depending. Got boat back gonna try it and see if I can keep the extra weight on there or have to take some off.

(740)502-1017 cell

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    sound like a good time good luck to ya

3. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Just got the boat out of the shop, went 2 miles downstream and kaput. Jet was running fine and just cut out. Hiked 1/2 mile to the road, called wife, might be fishing on bank. :roll_eyes:

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good Luck to ya tonight! If I didn't have to work so late this week, I would have ventured down to try to meet up with ya. I might go for a bit right around the house to try for some on the Tusc

5. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    good luck tonight shawn hope you land a big one.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Was gonna go but did not see my name in the invite. :sad2:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Matt would not go anyway, I have invited him 56072 times to fish with me and he never shows:big_smile:

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :haha: :haha: How long you known him??

9. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    2 weeks! :lol:

Well I went last night but no fish.

How about a little critique from my friends? :roll_eyes:

I was told about this spot (no boat because, well just because) where a creek enters a bigger creek at an outside bend with a riffle above and below as well as a long point where the two waterways converge.

I chose a spot as close to the gead of the hole as I could find. On my side there were some downed trees. Where they were down in the water the water rushed downstream past the trees but created a whirlpool effect by turning the opposite direction and flowing toward the tree. I decided to fish in close to that tree. I had frozen shad for bait. I laid one whole one (8") right up next to the debris and a head out where the current break was (end of tree) Before dusk I had two hits but no complete takedowns (circle hooks) When Jack showed up he had creek chubs and 10 real nice bluegill. I switched to live bait and replaced them in similar locations. From 7-11 I had 3 short runs, none long enough to stop th reel to let the circle do it's work. However, when I pulled stakes at 11 pm I had no bait.

My thoughts are that I should trust my circles and tight lined, or I should have switched to Khales, although none of the strikes were hard enough to warrant a hook set. I also wondered if it was a flathead, channel, or turtle bite. Since I didn't catch anything, I am leaning toward turtle.:roll_eyes:

10. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My thougths are, maybe you should have tightlined with the circles in rod holders. Then again, that stuff happens. I have noticed I will have channels just tear baits off the hookbecause they do not inhale the bait as easily as flatties do. I went through 20 baits one time only to find out I had channels picking the crap out of the big gills I was using. It is very possible in my opinion they were channels. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:cool2:

I am not sure, but I think the turtles are pretty much done biting. At least I haven't had any problems with them in the usual spots for turtles:tounge_out:

11. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I saw the first post and I thought you were heading down in 45 min or so ...I was about to copy down your number and pull on my boots to head down when I saw your follow up post ...to bad cause Im only 20 min away !
    got my heart pounding for nothing lol

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Shawn I can't say why your bait was gone cause I were'nt there but I would guess smaller catfish snatched them, turtles grab hold-run-drop-grab-run-drop....etc I don't lose much bait to them I just get it back all chewed up. But smaller cats can grab on and not let go as they run off pulling the bait loose cause they didn't get the hook in their mouths. I've also found turtles don't prefer faster water if they can laze around in a nice slow run.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Jack, I must call your bluff buddy.

It has only been 56,071 times. :big_smile: :lol: :tounge_out:

We'll hook up soon enough brother.