Going fishing tonight

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by splitshot, May 14, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Going fishing at the bay tonight 5-14 im due to catch some cats:lol:

2. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Good luck to you tonight.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve don't forget the camera. I hope you catch a boat load/truck load. Good luck on this trip.:lol: :smile2:

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    You're do, just leave a few for everyone else!!!!

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well i fished from five pm to twelve thirty pm, had one good run turned out to be a gar. He held on till i got him half way out of the water then decided he didnt like the scenery and let go. If i dont catch some cats soon i may have to take up bass fishing----------Naw!!!!!:roll_eyes:

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Blasphemy....Blasphemy I say!!!!!

7. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    I've been getting skunked as well.Went out last 3 nights and NADA. What the heck's going on in our neck of the woods here. My buddy has caught 7, yes 7 mud puppy's this year and only 2 cats.

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Rich, i just gotta ask. What does JGB stand for?

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    It's the monogram of the big boss. ( J.G. Bearnhart) Nice gar...I seen them in the Oswego River just off of Ontario but I rarely could get them to hit anything I've got. Any tips?

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks, Not really any tips ive never fished for them on purpose, but i do catch them sometimes when fishing for cats. The one in my avatar i caught last year, he wasnt even hooked he wouldnt let go of the herring i was using for bait and had the line wrapped around his snout!:lol: Folks that fish for them use rope lures, i think there is a decription of how to make and use them in the libary.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I dont know whats going on Jay ive only caught one small channel, going out again wendsay night with my son were going to try the canal below lock 9.

12. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    I might try West river rd. If you don't have any luck you could always swing over. My buddy told me yesterday that the fish have been biting pretty good over there.

13. Willie Ketchum

Willie Ketchum New Member

State:
    New York
    I've never seen one around where I live, but I've caught a few in Texas and in the south.. I used un-weighted, dead shiners and would throw them in front of cruising Gar.. the trick is to let them take it and swim away and then try to set the hook when they stop to swallow it, as the front part of their mouth is solid bone..Athough i never tried , a circle hook may work well and keep from deep-hooking them..I have heard of the rope trick too, but never tried.. Good Luck tonight guys!

14. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    We got a good bunch of cats Sat. May 12 we got 5 - 16lbs.
    a 14lb and a couple around 10lbs. We fished out of Ti. Tonite we fish from South bay I will letyou know what we get.

15. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    My proplem is i dont have a boat and have to fish from the bank. So far we havent been able to find them in our usual spots.

16. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Split Shot I fish almost every Sat. nite from 6 Pm - Till Midnight You are welcome to go out with me sometime. I have a small boat for a couple of people and a bigger boat that is good for up to 4. Let me know if you would like to go along some time. I usually have just me and my 13 year old son.

17. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    Splitshot, we went to Lock 6 Saturday night and got a 3lb. cat, a 15lbr., an 18lbr., and a 20 lber. plus a couple bullheads. We'll have to get together and head down there sometime soon. We're going to South bay this Friday night.

18. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the invite Dean, Id love to go out with you sometime i would be glad to buy the gas for the boat. I only work two days a week usually sat. and sun. night. I work in sporting goods at wal-mart in Queensbury, but im sure i could get a sat. night off. If you dont mind you can pm me your Phone number and ill give you a call next week.

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I can come up to South bay Friday night for a while, i have to work sat. but dont go in till eleven am. See ya friday!!:smile2:

20. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Splitshot sounds like you'd do well to get with either of your local guys. I went out Sunday and got skunked. The other guys were taking some walleyes, but, I was being stubborn and holding out for Mr. Whiskers to show up.

Rich