Going Exploring Wednesday

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Jun 30, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Headed down to Georgetown on wednesday afternoon to try out some huge blues and flatheads in the costal tidal waters of the waccamaw and big pee dee river. I am hoping to find a new honey hole. I have wore the fish out down there every year in the winter and earlly spring for the past few years when the herring an shad are in the bay but never have been back after the water warms. I hope to have a good report.

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Good luck James-
    The wildest thing I have ever seen down there is to see the blues turn on when they are heading shrimp in the sampit river. I found out real quick how much and how far they will travel for shrimp.
    Keep us posted.
    Lindsay

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good luck and just watch the salinity. With the drought, the water might be a bit salty down by the bridges. I'd hate for you to waste time fishing for cats in saltwater!:roll_eyes:

If you don't own a refractometer (and who does!!), you might just have to try tasting the water. If it tastes even a tiny bit salty, it's prolly too salty for cats - and remember, the stuff down at the bottom is more salty than the surface (salt water is heavier than fresh, so the fresh water floats on top of the salt - although they do mix).

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks John I believe I am going to skip fishing at the bridges I know I can catch fish there. I am going up the waccamaw and the pee dee to try out some places up there. I have caught a ton of good fish around the bridges but I am looking for the flatheads that rome around down there and I dont think the flatheads are as saltwater tollerant as the blues are.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY ANXIOUS to hear how it goes, James! keep us posted!
    Bill in SC

6. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Have a safe trip hope U get some good old biggin's. I'm like Bill keep us informed. I have fished at Gtown on several different times but not for cats.
    PEEDEE CAT

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have been tempted to explore the area, too, but it's a bit of a ride from Charleston and I have to go right over the Santee and keep driving for another 40 minutes. That's hard to do.

Looking at charts and Google Earth, the area of the Waccamaw above Thoroughfare and Bull Creek and all the way up where the ICW leaves the river looks awful fishy...

Good luck!

8. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Just curious on how tolerent fresh water fish are to the salt. always wondered that.

Rohn

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I know here on the Savannah River Ive caught both crappie and flounder out of the same tree top.........we also catch some really nice blues in the same spots we fish for redfish in the fall

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rohn Im not sure about the flatheads but the blues seem to be really tolerate of it. They stack up down ther in the early spring to gordge themselves on the shad and herring.

John that is excactly the area I will be heading for. I am going to be be there tommorow around low tide to have a look at it then so I will know what is what and I plan to fish all night.

11. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Hey James hope things went good in G'town today give me a call on my cell tomorrow if you get a chance. Want to hear if you got to fish on your little trip.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sometime we have to explore to find those holes. Good luck to you, I look forward to hearing if it turned out good for you.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We got down there about 6:30 yesterday evening and rode around looking until around 8:30. We marked some fish and some holes to try throughout the night. The 1st hole produced a nice 21lb male blue and few small bites. Then the next hole had a fish get us hung up. Moved again and put a 8lb blue in the boat and never had another bite for the rest of the night. We stuck it out and fished until daylight but no more fish or even bities. The blue crabs are in full force right now they would eat everything we would throw down there from cut bait to live bream. You could sit in a hole for 30 minutes and reel up nothing but a half eaten bream with a huge blue crab locked on. We kept moving further inland but never got away from the crabs. It was a bueatiful night and we had a great time though.

Attached Files:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report, James. Glad y'all had fun, and that was one respectable blue!
    BB in SC

15. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the report james. nice fish.