Going Cheap

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Blueyedturtle, May 11, 2020.

1. Rockabilly-Angler

Rockabilly-Angler Well-Known Member

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Hahahaha! Nice bro! Just last year, it was really early in the season, and around these parts people always say "The second week of June is when the Catfish start going" and a lot of people wait until then to go, but I don't, and I ended up having multiple Perch that I caught that day, that all somehow managed to swallow a 2/0 or so Octopus Circle Hook I was using..... I Honestly don't even know how I brought that first one in, because it literally swallowed the thing!

Oh bro, teasing is fine, I've made some mistakes that I had to bust my OWN balls over haha. I've landed small 10 inch not even legal to keep Channel Cats on a Berkley Fusion 8/0 Circle Hook, which, I'll be Honest here, I KNOW Catfish Mouth size is amazing, but I was shocked he managed to actually get that thing in there LOL. I have a pet Red Tail Catfish that I hand feed Shrimp and other foods too, and he literally will come up and grab chunks almost the size of his head right from my hands and swallow them down. I've also seen a Flathead with a massive Snapping Turtle stuck in his mouth too, LOL.

I have a lot of different sized hooks that I use based on what I'm trying to catch, and that small Octopus Hook I was using, was mainly because I didn't think that bigger Cats were around yet, because I was up river a ways from one of my other spots, and mainly we had been catching Suckers and Sheephead, so I didn't really know if I'd even see a Catfish. My Fiance has landed the very first Catfish of the season so far, and it was a baby we let go as it wasn't legal size yet, but now that I know the bigger ones are moving around out back behind the house (We live in a spot where the back yard turns into a state park with trails leading all around the River, which is awesome because I can walk in) so normally it's a few weeks later that the Big Cats come in that area, but they're out there now!

I have size 8 Octopus Hooks I use for Sunfish when I need bait, and then I've got some smaller Mustad Hooks for bait, and then I have my Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks in size 1, and 1/0 for the Octopus Circle Hooks, and then I've got like .... Lots of Mustad's "Big Gun Catfish Hooks" in size 6/0, and then a whole bunch of different Berkley Fusion, Gamakatsu, Mustad, and Trokar Circle Hooks and Octopus Hooks in sizes from 5/0, 6/0, 7/0, 8/0, and 9/0, which are pretty beefy sized hooks I have to say heh.

Yeah bro, when I got started up, I hadn't fished for anything since about the age of 11, and I'm 37 now, and my Fiance and her family are all hunters and Anglers, and 3 years ago, I got my first Rod and Reel and started fishing again, and then, I got into Catfish. That's Honestly what got me back into Fishing again, as Catfish are my favorite Fish to Catch, favorite to eat, and favorite to keep as a pet. I do love Carp and Sturgeon too, but Catfish is my #1 by far. And when I got into this, everyone on every web site would say I needed a 150 dollar Ambassadeur Reel, and whatever type of Rod Brand, and I simply can't afford all that stuff, and my first set up, my budget was 40 dollars, so I got a cheap combo with 17 pound mono already on it, and started fishing. I learned pretty quick that the best thing to spend your money on, was the Hooks.

I still have a Berkley Fusion Spinning Combo I got for 40 dollars that I still use. Only thing I've changed was the line it came with, and it's a Tubular Fiber Glass blank with a chunky Reel on it, so I load it up with fresh mono, also super cheap, and then I either use a Sinker Slide, or, if I can't afford to lose one of those, I'll use a 65 Pound Snap Swivel as a Sinker Slide sometimes because those are still cheaper than the Sinker Slides, and work just as well really LOL. I just put my line through the eye with a Bead in front of it, and tie on the Barrel Swivel, and put my leader on that, and the most expensive thing on there, is the Hook LOL.

Yeah bro when I first saw a Lever Drag Reel, I think it was a Shimano TLD that I saw, and at first I was confused like "Wait, how does THAT work???" and the Hacker side of my Brain saw all these options and things I could do with that style Drag and I was hooked LOL.

I too use Star Drag Reels, and Spinning Reels, and I like both of those too, but those Lever Drag ones.... Bro the way those work would make it SO easy! I think if I could time it right, it would work wonders on Chinook / King Salmon too, when they jump and people "bow to the fish" and instead if I could time it just right, I could simple thumb the spool lightly, and drop that lever back down, and then a simply thumb slide and it's back on when the fish lands in the water, and I'd love to experiment with that!

My current favorite, is a Penn Fathom Lever Drag. The Squall is really nice too, but that Metal on the Fathom, I LOVE the way it looks, and they have a nice loud clicker on there too! LOL tell you one thing you'll know if I get a "Stimulus Check" from this Covid stuff, cause there will be a delivery made to the front door with a box saying "Penn" on it haha!

Bobbycat, Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.
  2. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I use only #8 (I believe it is) for baitfish, and 5/0, 8/0 and 10/0 for cats......bait and cats are all I fish for, so that keeps things simple.

I dont have the bucks to spend on new more modern reel designs...still using reels made in the 50' and 60's................BUT......even those old reels can use a little modernization from time to time....here is my idea for a Penn star drag to lever drag modification. Offers lots of leverage for the BIG ones!!!! 1980-01-01 00.00.15-2.jpg

3. JeffB1961

JeffB1961 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    i like other folks opinions on equipment . helps me learn from the mistakes of others ...... not that that will keep me from making mistakes , but it reduces the likely hood IMO .

4. D schuerenberg

D schuerenberg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    Denzil Denny
  5. D schuerenberg

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    Denzil Denny
    Over kill that's a 6500 in middle 20200209_212106.jpg

Brackish*Water and Flat Top like this.
  6. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Overkill...is way underrated!!!!:biggrin1:

7. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    What kind of reels are those Denzil? Very interesting looking.

8. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    The one on the right looks like a Penn Super Mariner, so "may" be.....not familiar with the reel on the left.

9. D schuerenberg

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    Denzil Denny
    The gold one is Penn international 20 the other Penn no 49 was sitting around one night checked eBay auction was winding down one had 20$ bid other 50 ended up with both and a Penn got 220 around 120$.
    Had no ideal how big they were the international weighs over 3 lb holds 700 yards of 20 lb line the 49 came spooled with steel wire

10. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Yup, the 49 is a Mariner..... The Internationals were always above my paygrade....used Senators for all my shark fishing....regardless, both are very nice reels, and if you tie in to a 200 lb Blue...neither will give that fish an inch!!!! Matter of fact if your truck gets bogged down on an old river road, you can always use one of those to to winch it out!

D schuerenberg and Herbhome like this.
  11. D schuerenberg

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    Denzil Denny
    Lol I probably never use them but I bet they would get comments at ramp

Flat Top likes this.
  12. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    LOL... I bet they would!!! Just tell em "the fish I am after require heavy gear....I aint looking for no stinkin' panfish"!!!!

I fish my old Penns (Delmar, Long Beach, etc), near exclusively, and I do get some strange looks. Most folks up here (St. Louis) use spinners. About the only time I see conventionals is at the boat ramps when the "big boys" are hitting the water....look at the gear and you know they are serious!

Bobbycat likes this.
  13. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    I agree with Tom. If we have a lot of fish around and some experience, we will be successful even with cheap gears. Fish do not care about a price of our equipment.

14. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Personally I think those old Penn Reels are a lot like old Hot Rods; BEAUTIFUL and with a nice big engine :)

15. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Thats right!!! Even when fishing we can "shake, rattle, and roll"!!!!

Rockabilly-Angler likes this.
  16. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Bro you reminded me of a Psychobilly cover of a Motorhead song just now!

Before I post this, please know that I KNOW this has nothing to do with the topic, but I HAVE to show you this! It's Psychobilly, which is a lot like Rockabilly, but with a bit more of a Punk Attitude to it:

Flat Top likes this.
  17. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Nope, no psycho here (although I have been called crazy from time to time)....and surely no punk attitude (I do have an attitude but it is a very refined attitude...took me years to develop it). Music? I am more in line with ZZ TOP....you know, pure high quality music without the distractions.

Bbob and Nuclear Bill like this.
  18. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Motorhead and Danzig and MC5 come to mind. But refinement is a form of growth so I'm not going to knock you on that either way :)

19. MonFlatcat

MonFlatcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
    Danzig Mother, one of my favorites from back in the day.

Im a bit more refined these days than I was back then, but I still have this on my workout play list. Don't tell anybody. lol.

20. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    I figured someone had to like him around here LOL. I've been listening to him since back in the Misfits days, all the way through Samhain and his solo stuff.

Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.