Going Catfishing with about 140 KIDS

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by sarSWAMPFOX, May 15, 2008.

1. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Yeah, I typed it correctly. Tomorrow me , Russell & serveral other volunteers are going to try to help 140 kids ( at last sign up ) catch some channel cats at Veterans Park . All the kids are special needs kids. Some are Jay Birds classmates others are from around the state. Gonna be interesting.

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    You're a better man than me!!! Honestly tho I think it's a great thing ya'll are doing. Something those kids will remember for a long time.

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    This is the first time for me to be part of this. Last year I was unable to attend and there were 35+ kids. This year Jay Bird volunteered Russell & me to help with the kids. The co-ordinator says she is glad to have us as this year there will be more than 3 times as many kids as last year.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    keep up the good work. i like to help them one or 2 at a time but 140 is gonna be a hand full.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It will be well worth the grey hair it cost ya. If you can reach and possibly help the life of just one kid, it will come back to ya 10 fold.:wink:

6. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Hope you have a great time with those kids. I'm sure that they will have a blast.

7. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    You will do fine with the kids , its the grown folks that will be a problem over there. I went over there a few years back.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That sounds great JD if I was off I would come up and help out also maybe nxt year if you give me some notice I can make it. I am taking 4 local kids next weekend to fish a tournament at santee for our Sherriffs Department kids tournament. Good luck to yall.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    All of us here love our catfishing and I think what you guys are doing is great for our sport, and more importantly for the kids.

I wish you guys a safe and productive day...Good luck !!!

-Jim-

10. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Wow! What a day of fishing with all these Kids. Probly the toughest, most tiring, non-stop action, and I'm wore out. But would go right back if they were still fishing. Baiting hooks , taking off fish, un-tangling lines, getting hooks out of close( lucky none made it to skin ). Here are some pics

Attached Files:

11. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Some more pics of these wonderful kids. Check out the Smiles.

Attached Files:

12. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    More Pics of the kids.

Attached Files:

13. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    And a few more pics.

Attached Files:

14. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    And my favorite Picture of all. My son Jay Bird spending the day fishing with his best friend Nate.

Attached Files:

15. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I think the last count was 149 disabled children fishing with 22 volunteer guides. Most guides had between 6 & 9 kids to handle. I don't know how many fish were caught, but there was a lot. I'm gonna venture out to say around 300+ fish were caught and all but 8 were released alive and healthy. The 8 were deep hooked and were kept filleted and donated. Never heard the first child wine or cry. All smiles every where you looked. Someone said earlier in the post that this will be a day those kids will remember for ever , well so will I, nothing like that many smiling kids.

16. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Great job JD and Russ:wink:,those are some mighty happy little kids there,I'm sure they wont soon forget it either.You both did yourself proud on that venture,keep up the good work.I betcha seeing all those kids smiling and catching some fish was even more rewarding than the big win you got in the Catmen Tourney last weekend:big_smile:,tell ol Jaybird nice catch also.

17. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    JD and Russ, Ya'll did a great job and deed. :big_smile: Were all proud of ya!!!:wink:

18. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Great job guys! Having good hearted people like you guys is what makes this such a great site.

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is an excellent undertaking and will be fun for all. Thank you for taking time to help these kids. God Bless

20. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    One of my friends here in Union sent me some pics of this event I thought I might add.

Attached Files: