Going after the big ones

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by countrycat15, May 10, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,i have cought countless cats ranging fro 1-15 pounds and i love it,but i want to go fishing for the big ones.i mean if theres any in wylie or south fork river 30 pounds and up i want to catch them and i need yalls help. i have some pretty good heavie action 8 foot abu garcia rods but no big reels.i just switched to baitcasters and have one so im looking for another good sized baitcaster and my price range is $25-$40 so if yall have any suggestions that would be great.also i need some tips on hooks and hook sizes,i relly love khale hooks.and also i need some tips on bait,and i will be going after flatheads. so any info yall have will help me out alot thanks.

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    come on guys,yall are putting up way to mutch info.lol

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd try e-bay for reels in that price range.You can usually pick them up fairly cheap used.You can't go wrong with an Abu 6000 or a 6500 but they may be a lil bit more.As far as bait I'd try live bluegill,goldfish,Israeli carp,or cut shad or any of the above as cut bait also.I always try and take as much bait as I can,and try different baits until I find what they are hungry for.I've been using Eagle claw 5/0 hooks this year and done pretty good,if you use big bait i'd go to 7 or 8/0.Hope this helps!

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The best reel for that price range is any of the Shakespeare Tidewater series. They are found at Wal Mart, Catfish Connection, or Cabelas & BPS. Around Laurinburg they are $35, Catfish connection I think is about the same price, plue shipping. If you're fishing for flatheads or blues, which tend to suspend when feeding, I would rig a live bait or fresh cut bait on a big float with a 1/4 oz. egg sinker to help with casting distance. Good luck and I hope this helps.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Dad just bought a couple of the Shakespeare Tidewater reels at Wally World and they seem to work just fine for the fish we catch. Look kind of goofy on a 7 ft Ugly Stick, but they still work.

Big bait = big fish.

Live bait + Cover = Flatheads.

If you're going to use cut bait, keep it alive until the second you're ready to put it on the hook. Cut it into big hunks and away you go.

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    For Flatheads, use live bluegills, if legal. Use them cut for channels and the occasional flathead.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for all yalls post guys,yall have helped me out alot.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fish Lake Wylie and the South Fork arm regulary and there are some 30+ pound fish there, but there are not a lot.

A 48 pound flathead was caught several weeks ago on the South Fork by a bass fisherman in a local tournament.

My largest fish on the lake was a 15 pound blue, but there are some in the 20 pound range caught each year. Blues are fairly new to the lake, so it will take some time to grow a susatinable population of 30+ pound blues.

If you take a channel over 10 pounds on Wylie you have a true trophy.

I think the best shot at a 30+ pound fish on Wylie will be a flathead, and that will probably happen in the upper reaches of the South Fork or Catawba River. Very few people target flatheads on those waters and most fish that size are broken off when they are caught by the casual angler.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    One more thing countrycat.

If you live in Gastonia and are looking for rods and reels, check out the pawn shop on Wilkinson Blvd. in Lowell. They have a pretty good selection of used catfish/carp rods there. If you stop in regularly you will probably find some good deals.

As for bait on Wylie, you can't go wrong with cut bream, especially the heads for the bigger cats.

Holler at me if you see me on the lake!!!!!!!!!

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well for flatheads you'll want to use good sized live bait.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try ebay, I would look at getting a Abu 5000 or 6000, I think those would handle the fish u wont to catch.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You have recieved good info already. Try them and you should be fine.