Goin to Moultrie need some advice

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fire02, Jan 5, 2010.

1. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and my buddy are going to put in at Thornleys boat landing (near Lions Beach) and try to do some catfishing on Sun. the 17th. We will be getting out there in the morning, but I need some help. We have always fished from the bank and done really well but are still learning the boat fishing.

Well be around the locks, Short Stay, just that area in general. Can anyone give me some advice on where to look for bait fish, some good spots to try, techniques, etc.

Any help would be appreciated, this is the first time he's been fishing in 6 yrs.(He just got out of the Marines) so I want to try to make it a productive fun trip. Well be fishing starting in the morning throught out the day.

Thanks for the help. (Locations of any bait shops that carry Herring or Shad would be great just in case we cant catch our own)

2. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Give us a idea what equiopment you have on the boat.

Drift sock?
    Deapthfinder/Fishfinder?
    Grapple anchors?

Hey all Catfish Brothers this guy has a Marine who has just got out lets give him some help!

Curt
    USMC Retired

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Fire,the only advice i can give you is to be willing to drive to another location if need be. I have never fished the area at this time of year so i can't be much help there. I can tell you that if you are willing to make the trip to one of the landings close to the Tree's in Lake Marion you may have better luck. Just check with some of the guys on here at the time and make sure they are still there. Maybe someone can direct you to a good location near the place you are staying. Good luck

Good example: I stayed at the state park on upper Marion during the summer and the big cats just weren't there. We managed a few but due to the weather and all i wasn't about to go on the lower lake (were the fish bite was on) Seth wasn't use to the ruff stuff so we fished in safe waters. It hurt when i seen people come in from the lower with coolers full. I knew then we camped in the wrong place.

4. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    My boat is a 17 ft CC, I have a GPS/Depthfinder, and an anchor. Never really used or even seen a drift sock.

Curt, I just want to try to make this a good trip for my buddy. We grew up together, he enlisted and did 3 tours in Iraq, all the while he would call me and all he wanted to talk about was catfishing. Heck, hes the reason I bought the boat, did it about 2 weeks before he came home on leave before going to Iraq his 2nd time.

We use to fish from the shore at Short Stay and did great there, but now with a boat we are going to have to relearn everything. Any help on where to catch some bream/perch, or where to buy some bait would be helpful as long as where to go.

Thanks

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This time of year, the area between Short Stay and the dam can be very good, either drifting, or anchoring off in front of the dam. Use fresh threadfin shad if available, or whatever other fresh cut bait you have.

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    this time of year you can buy bait at Blacks Camp, Canal Lakes and Hills most of the time. Recommend calling before driving all the way there just in case. You can (if you lucky) catch them at dam but without permit you cannot go inside the buoys. Between Short Stay and dam is good. Out front west NW of Short Stay in deep water find bait pods and fish them. They is so much water going through the lakes the bite is nuts off and on on and off. Good luck, my son just went back to finish his tour. Tell your friend Welcome Home.

7. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the help everyone! Im literally sitting here taking notes, as I really want to try to hook into some for him. I could care less to reel any in just as long as he has a good time.

Any other advice is still appreciated.

Thanks

8. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Fire,
    Usually this time of year, if you are at the locks just before sunrise and they are pulling water, there are threadfin popping all over the top, pretty easy to get with a castnet. The bait will be there it might not be on top. Try a sabiki rig if the bait is staying deep. I'm going to fish Wed and Thurs night off the shore at short stay. I'll let you know how that goes.

9. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    Cool, I appreciate it. I just got switched to another shift at the fire dept, so now its either going to be Sat or may still be able to do it Sun.

What are the laws on throwing a cast net for bait on the lake? Ive done it before from the shore but always wondered if there are any laws against it?

Thanks

10. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    You can throw that net all you want. You just can't go inside the buoys without a bait permit.

11. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    Okay, I went and picked up some frozen herring today for our trip Sunday. Figured I better have something just in case I cant catch any on my own.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Any fishing reports from this week?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  12. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    We just got back from Short Stay, we caught two fish Friday morning, a 22lber at 0500 and a 30lber at 1130. Both on herring. We were fishing off the bank. Most boats seemed to be along the channel edge, all between Short Stay and channel marker 5.

13. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    Went out today 1/17/10 and it was windy and started to rain so we didnt get to stay out long. Caught one #18 and that was it. Were using frozen herring and my buddy had some old frozen bream which is what we caught that one on. Drifting out in the channel.

Thanks to all who gave me advice, we had a great time, and he was excited. Everytime the boat would rock and make the rod tip move he would jump. His wife also had a great time and she was the one who reeled the one fish of the day in.

Hoping to get back out when the weather calms down.

Thanks

14. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Was at Moultrie on Friday as well. Boats were along the channel edge. All the way from the dam to half way back up the lake. Several BOC members were also fishing that day. We ended up with 8 Blues. All bit funny.