Goin to Jordan Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tubby Catfishin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hey guys My dad and I are goin fishin @ Jordan Lake in 2 weeks. Ne one got ne helpful tips or know of a few spots where we can get on some good cats?? Also........ Are there Flats or Blues in Jordan cuz Ive heard that there was but according to the fishing and boating map for jordan; they've got plenty of channels but Flats and Blues???? Nothin?? I figured if ne one would know....... someone in here would! This will be the first time my Dad and I have gone fishing since i was a yougin!! Id really like to make it a good trip! Thanks guys!!!!

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jonathon,

I wish I could help you more, but I don't know about the big ones at Jordan. I do know that there are some NICE channels in there!

If you are interested in those, I can give you a few spots to look for em.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i'm not too sure bout late summer fishin up there, but i do know that earlier this year, i was catching them just north of the 64 bridge, and over near bells church fishing area just out from normal casting distance. i had the best luck with cut shad which can be netted near anywhere in the lake. i was fishin bout 6 foot under the surface and lettin it set till i got a bite. bottom fishing is great in the lake, if u can get past all the snags... there are snags everywhere... lol

r u fishing from a boat or from the shore? the above is for a boat.

if u r fishing from the shore, look up the bells chruch fishing area and stay to the left, either on the pier or the shore. to the right of the pier from straight out center of the pier all the way to the rock on the right is all snags, so to make it an enjoyable trip either use floats or stay to the left. day fishing seems to be really slow, but thats from what i've seen, so i tend to stay up there at night. haven't fished it since it got hot out though, thinkin of goin back up there soon.

4. DAKATKILLA

DAKATKILLA Member

State:
    CHARLOTTE
    if you wanna have fun cacthing cats you should go to falls dam its right there before badin .....its a small area compared to other lakes..... fishin right under the dam works for me all the time you catch 10ns and 20s all the time there there fun to catch

5. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Well, I haven't been out since July (when there was still water in the lake:eek:oooh:). I usually fish on the west side of the lake (launch from Robeson Creek) on the Haw River arm, about 3-4 mi N of the dam. Last time out we did fairly well in about 7' of water. However, the lake is about 3-4' down since then and the temps are way higher than they were in July. Try shallow at first, then plan B would be to look for a channel or old creek bed. If you go South, toward the dam then turn back to the Northeast you'll come to two islands. There is a channel to the left of the left island that drops to about 50', that could be productive if you don't have any luck shallow.

Perhaps Greggofish will be along to lend his wisdom.

As far as I know there aren't any Blues in Jordan. I've heard of a few Flatheads but that's only what I've heard and even those stories are few and far between. I do know that there are a bunch of Channels in there though.

Do be careful though, I pass the lake every day on my way to work and it is getting low.

Good luck

Jon

6. gatecitycattin

gatecitycattin New Member

State:
    nc
    Try fishing up where the haw comes in if the water ain't too low. I used to catch some pigs over by the 54 bridge.

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i haven't seen any blues come out of jordan, its mainly white cats, and channel cats, i've managed to get a couple of small flattys, but nothing to brag bout, caught them off of cut shad white cat fishin, i've tried to fish for flattys in the lake with no results.

8. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Jordan has a lot of standing timber still in it so be careful. However that timber is good to fish around. You can get a structure map of the lake from bcfishing maps, this is a map of the lake using aerial photos prior to flooding with the curent lake level contour on it. It shows foundations, old creek channels, ponds, RR tracks, roads etc... Very helpful to pinpoint spots to fish before you hit the water. Having an underwater picture of the whole lake will help you boat more fish. It's taken me years to put this picture together of badin where no maps exist and it's only in my head. Being able to look at a map whenever you want is priceless. Here's a link, good luck.

http://www.bcfishingmaps.com/products/item.php?id=4919

9. jcm271

jcm271 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I found a similar map of Jordan at one of the gas station across from the observation area on 751. It doesn't have aerial images, but it marks all of the major underwater structure and gives GPS coordinates. Very helpful.

10. Catfisherman111

Catfisherman111 New Member

State:
    NC
    All ive got in there are channels, but some of my friends say they got a few decent flats, Ill try to find out where they were fishing for you.

11. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    went up to jordan lake yesterday. went to a gas station to get some minnows and was lookin at the pics up over the counter, there were a couple of people holding flatties, and i asked the guy if they were takin out of jordan and he said yes, but they are few and far between.

anyways, we were hangin minnows bout a foot off the bottom... my friend caught a perch, a small crappie, a small cat (bout half a pound), and a cat bout a pound. they were all caught in 16 feet of water, right before dusk, and water temp was 84 degrees bout a foot down from the surface.

12. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Kennith, you weren't around Parkers Creek were you? It seems like you'd told mr once that you had a red/white older 16'/17' boat. I could have sworn I saw a boat fitting that bill beached over around loop 2 at Parkers Creek.

Anywhoo, your report sounds about like mine. We caught a 8lb and a 1lb channel on a trotline set out in about 5' of water over at Parkers Creek and Hwy 64. Back at our campsite we caught a couple of 2lbers in the flooded timber.

Bait was abundant everywhere, even caught a bunch of gizzard shad (I usually only catch threadfins out there).

Jon

13. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    u could have seen me... lol... i didn't go up parkers creek, and the only place i beached was down at ebenizer, but i did see a bunch of boats beached down at the point at parkers creek, so i was in viewing distance... i went up to bells church area, then back down to the 64 bridge, and then back down to ebenizer... up at bells church ended up towin a guy that was havin engine problems, towed him over to that hidden ramp at farrington campground... my main goal for the day was to get the boat on the water and make sure my patch would hold.

14. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

You folks catchin flatheads are doing something I haven't managed to do or see. I grew up in Chapel Hill and have fished the lake since it was filled and have never seen one. That is so strange to me because the Haw has plenty of them.

Go figure.