Goin Cattin This Evenin'

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by cassbongard, Jul 16, 2009.

1. cassbongard

cassbongard New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good luck

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good Luck AJ an let us know how you did.

3. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Just keep us posted on your progress with those cats.:big_smile:

4. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    hey AJ since your online and no pics im assuming you dont have any good cattin news??? lol:big_smile:

5. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    AJ what happened last night do any good Iam heading out in the morning and catching some bait fish then heading to Watts Bar let ya know what I catch.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  6. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Well I am glad to hear that you and your buddy had a good time.:smile2:

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't feel bad AJ here lately bait has been the only fish I catch!!!:smile2::smile2:

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think thats a good spot AJ..Theirs a lot of current there when the water starts rising and that boat ramp breaks up that current real well right there..Like you said once that water started going up them skips started biting..Bet not long after they started coming thru them cats were'nt far behind..

9. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Well went out yesterday morning with my boys and caught several bait fish. Later on that evening I heading to Watts Bar with several different baits those fish, chicken liver, night crawler. Well about 20 min in to the trip caught a little channel cat 1.5 lb(liver) then 10 min later BAM another, boy I was getting pumped up they starting hitting hard and fast. Man I thought it was going to be a long and cat filled night..... NOPE it stopped and fast too there we only brought in six cats 4 channel and two blues. It was good fun...... OK when I use the bait fish how should it be cut up? They were hitting the fish but I think I cut it was just too big for the area I was fishing but I dont have a clue never used it before.:angry::smile2:

10. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Dave I usually steak my bait into 3-4 pieces.I also use circle hooks and not sure if your aware of those but the key is to have as much hook exposure for a good hook set..You can also fillet the bait too leaving the skin on..Its been my experience that the larger fish hit the heads..Use the guts too, they work great for those smaller channel cats..Sometimes when you catch large enough skips they'll be packed with guts..Coulda been bream nibbling at your cut bait too or turtles..Believe me even a small cat can gulp down some rather large bait but you can cut your bait down into smaller chunks..I usually target big fish so I keep my chunks fairly big..But like I said you want your hook exposed as much as possible.Were you able to find any skips or shad??

11. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Les thank you sir didnt know about the circle hooks and I was just using the number 4 hook thanks

12. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah circle hooks work as advertised..You don't have to set the hook.Now its been my experience that circle hooks work great for fish that are aggressive and just take off with the bait like those big blues do and those big channels..Flatheads on the other hand may not move with the bait and sometimes they'll just grab the bait and kinda lip it so circles I find don't work as well for flats..I use 8/0 circles and 5/0 circles gamagatsus..I used to use them back home to catch red drum...Now I use them to catch cats..Try em out..