God's Awesome Power

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by loanwizard, Jul 31, 2006.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My family and I just got back from Niagara Falls. While it is known as one of the 7 natural wonders of the world, until you get up close and personal with it, you cannot comprehend the sheer power. Standing there on the Maid of the Mist, you suddenly understand that God not only exists, but has creative genius as well as the ability to create awesome scapes. This set of falls generates 600,000 gps (gallons of water per second). Folks that is awe inspiring considering where I cast net is considered too hard to net at about 800 gps.

Downstream we rode on a Jet Boat that held approx 50 people powered by 3 Penta/Volvo 500hp jet engines. That is 1500 horses. We rode into class 5 Rapids and into the whirlpool that is created where the Niagara river makes a turn. We talk about fishing outside and inside turns. This particular turn is 250 feet deep with boils that would drive a telephone pole straight to the bottom. The Captain said we had plenty of power to climb the class six rapids there but... that coming back down would be life threatening as the water could and probably would flip the boats. What a blast!

I wonder if I could hold the bottom with a 12 oz no roll? I wonder if the shad can run up in there? The first mate said 1 mile downstream that it move at approx 8 mph and that people catch Lake Trout, Salmon and Sturgeon in the area.

I guess the Niagara river moves more fresh water than any other river in the world. It connects Lake Erie to Lake Ontario and drops some 800 feet, 170 of which is at the falls.

Anyhow it was a great trip. My 8 and 9 year old, my wife, and my mother in law, all enjoyed it. (Yes, I did too)

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Shawn

I'm glad that you all enjoyed God's treat. Niagra falls can only be considered a treat to me. So aweinspiring. One of the MANY places I would love to go.

Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing any pics you may post

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Shawn,
    my church used to go to Niagra Falls every year. I used to get on the Maid of the Mist every time we whent too. It is truelly awe inspiring to say the least!

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "I wonder if I could hold the bottom with a 12 oz no roll?"

No way :big_smile: MAYBE after it drops to 8mph. It's sure an awesome sight, though.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Shawn sounds like a great time, my wife wants to go there just need to find the time and $$$.

6. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,

In that respect.... I might be a little uh cough cough choke... conservative ...cough cough sputter! :roll_eyes:

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Shawn I understand a long time ago that falls froze solid Probably God saying keep watching.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a great time, glad you got to spend some time with the family. I hope to take Madison up there sometime in the next 2-3 years.

9. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Actually the falls did not freeze solid but due to an ice jam in the neck of the river and Lake Erie, the water flow was lessened enough that people walked out and picked up artifacts. This happened twice I believe (without research) in the 1840's and 1940's.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Shawn, Wow, that sounds like a great trip!

Never been there but we have it on our list. I don't understand why people travel to other countries, there is so much to see in the good ole USA.

11. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Oops! We did travel to another country.... We went to the Canadian side LOL!

12. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    We would dearly love to see the falls, and all the other wounderous sights that the US hav to offer! At this point we are just waiting for the girls to get a little older so they will remembet the trips & we can save some $$ up. The first trip planned id Disney in FL.... with my whole family.... LOL... some natural wonder, huh.... LOL

13. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,

Huh?

What?

Come again?

Yes it is a thunderous cacaphony of the pulsing of millions of gallons of water. there are rainbows 24/7, the falls crash upon boulders bigger than my house. The water at the base of the falls is 170 feet deep taking the full thrum of the diesels of the Maid of the Mist. It is awe inspiring.

14. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yes, it is one of God's great creations. Glad to here you guys had a great time. Jack.