goat rock this weekend any tips???

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfish1083, Apr 30, 2009.

1. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey yall i am thinking of taking a trip to goat rock this weekend. any tips from yall pros, cause i am lost when it comes to day time cats on a lake???

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Water is really warming up so the fish are going to start looking for spawning locations. Prior to sitting on the beds, they are going to eat large amounts of food. So right now, we want to fish close to the ideal spawn locations where food is readily available. For Goat Rock, I would say that is going to be the backwaters close to the Bartlets Ferry dam on the north end. Have not tested this theory due to boat being broke, but I will as soon as that new power pack comes in! Good luck to you brother and be sure to post a good report, especially water temps and the availability of bait!

Not asking for any info on holes that you find:wink:

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    where would i start to look for bait?

4. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Hey Dustin, I fished lake Harding right up from goatrock this week. I caught shad near the docks and near rocks. At one place where I was bass fishing, the shad was jumping into the air to get away for the bass. Last sunday at harding I caught a 19 1/2 and a 15 pound channel cats using good old chicken liver. I caught a 5 pound blue cat on cut shad. Good luck!!!!

5. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks man i am hoping to find these cats on this new water.lol

6. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Look for the bait around the dam and the creeks shallow water is where you need to look. :cool2:

7. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Anyone have a list of who's fishing May 16 .... I want to know how many....:confused2:

8. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Shane should have it or he is probably waiting for a cut off time.

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No idea of how many will show up. I really over estimated it last time. The turnout is going to improve over time. I am hoping that a conservative estimate is going to be 10-15 teams.

Macdaddy, do I have your email? If not, shoot me one (check website) and I will get you on the distro list for all updates and changes

10. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    ok just got back from goat rock and i got skunked. although i didnt do near as much fishing as i wanted to:sad2: i am real lost when it comes to that place. i am not sure to fish it like a river or lake. there was no current, water was in the mid 60s, and saw very little bait fish activity(but didnt look to hard).

also it made me a little uneasy seeing 200hp motors running at me when i was in a 14 jon boat with a 5hp motor.:smile2:

but as always any and all tips are welcomed and greatly appreciated

11. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Try the mouth of the creeks and if you want current go to the upper dam you don't necessarily need to find the bait just current.
    Also try fishing Rocky banks a little swallow and bends they may not look like it but the ones on that lake have some deep water.

12. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Oh yea as for the 200hp boats the lake is just over 2 miles long ??? I hate them too! don't worry about it you will do just fine.

13. BFrith

BFrith New Member

State:
    Beulah, Alabama
    Eddie is right! The lake is short but has a lot of holes in it. There is not much traffic in it most of the time and there is current that will be under the surface in some areas due to the rocks. The best way to catch cats is to move around and catch one here or there and have fun!

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    water temps around columbus yesterday were in the mid 70's which should put the catfish spawn in full swing. Not so good for us, but it will be over soon. Conditions sure do change fast down here!

15. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey shane did you fish yesterday if so where did you put in at?

16. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Welcome to the real south Brother.

17. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Put in at Uchee because I know there are some real good holes there close to the ramp. It was decent and I missed a couple of good fish. Could not get far enough to really target the fish. Had a great afternoon/evening though! I am really counting down the days until my power pack gets here so I can do some real fishing

18. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey shane i talked to ben (he said yall know each other) he said him and a buddy went to goat rock yesterday and caught two 20s and another pushing 30. but i didnt see them.lol

19. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the update brother.