Goals For 2010???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Dec 20, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Do any of you have any fishing goals for 2010?

In the past mine were centered around catching a certain number of fish. It started with a 1,000 in a year, then moved to 1,200. Then, I wanted to up my daily average catch. All of that has been accomplished over the past several years.

This year, the focus is different. It is purely big fish. Sure, I have caught plenty of big fish in the past, but my focus was not entirely on them. The overall numbers and daily averages are not a concern anymore. It will mean a change in bait, tackle, where and how I fish.

My 2010 Fishing Goals:
    One 30+ pound per month on Lake Wylie
    Break the 60 pound mark on a blue
    Break the 50 pound mark on a flathead

It will take a fundamental change in my way of fishing, which to a certain extent has happended already this month thanks to Mac. The challenge will be to maintain that focus throughout 2010.

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I want to catch more fish next year and will no doubt go out more:big_smile::big_smile:...I want to get a 20 lb flathead atleast..I want to catch a blue!!!I want it to be big but i will settle for something eater sized because i havent got one yet:sad2::confused2:...And channel i want to get one atleast 8 lbs!!!I know there in the mo river...I just cant gett'um:confused2::confused2::confused2:

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I just have one goal/wish , less time at work and more on the water.:big_smile:

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    to get a 45+ pd. flathead.hopefully 50+ to break the river record.(which want last long)as fast as they're growing in this river any record won't last long.

to catch a blue30+.i don't fish for them,but plan on trying them.have a 23 fishing for flats.

put a few people on their PB yellowcat.

5. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    my plans is to break the 50lb mark without the net on a flattie from wylie and to break the 80lb mark on a blue from wateree and wylie . i know this sounds crazy:crazy: but i am the type of fisherman who is willing to fish water that other fisherman won't even give a second look . and i don't mind spending 20-30 min riding along edges and drops to find that perfect spot for the anchor and when i get there i am content to catch one fish. it is all about the chase for me:crazy: i like to see the rod hit the water . there is nothing like taking someone fishing who has a pb of 5lb and making them watch a rod go down till the drag starts rolling then tell them ok you can get him now :smile2:

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    My goals are to simply become a better Catfisherman in general,you can never learn enough about Catfish and their patterns.
    Some other goals I would like to achieve if possible would be:
    1.Break my PB on a Blue which is 53 lbs
    2.Spend more time fishing for Flatheads on Wylie
    3.Hopefully win or place in a few more tourneys than we did this past year.
    4.Try to help Team Green beat Wyliecat for the points in the Teds Series on Wylie.:cool2::smile2:That will be a job in itself.:wink:

7. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    really my only goal is to place in a few tournies this year. my last to tournies i didnt preform to well so i need to up the game a little. as far as breakin my pb i would love to have it happen but i just caught it a few days ago so im not tryin to hard to break it agian. breakin the 60 lb mark would be great though

8. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    My goals are to learn how to loosen up a little more when fishing tournys and just have fun regardless of the out come. Also stop being so hard on myself when Team Fat Cat does'nt perform the way I think we should and god willing I'll be here next year to set a new set of goals!:wink:

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Well i have many goals but my goal for fishn has been the same for many yrs. To catch a 100+ lb catfish. Blue or flathead makes no difference. Probably would have done caught the fish but i quit for a few yrs (poor excuse is better than none) but the truth is probably in the waters i fish. I just don't believe there are many that swim in the waters i have been fishn that are that big. Probably Santee water chain holds some but probably few. I believe with a goal like that you have to fish the Big Rivers like the Mississippi. Waterways that 70lb fish are common. But none the less its still my goal. But on a more realistic side, i want to win one of the blame tournaments this yr. I have had a couple of 2nd's and 3rd's but i want to win:smile2:
    I fish a lot like Bowlerman, well i did untill Seth started fishn with me. Now i like to catch fish but when i use to fish by myself it was a big fish or no fish attitude. It taught me how to catch big fish and if Wylie Cat starts fishn with that attitude we will be in trouble come tournament time. It does make a difference, just like letting the smaller bucks walk. Its hard to do at first because of the pride thing (i want a cooler of fish to show people i know how to fish) I have caught 2 fish at 68 lbs (Blues) and even landed a 60lb flathead. So many 50's that i have lost count. Its hard to mark a bunch of fish and ride on by looking for a huge arch out by itself. Big fish R usually loners or maybe one other may be with them. They just don't like competing with the little guys. I believe i have had larger fish on but due to bad shoulders and the size line i use i just couldn't get them to the boat. Now i got a young healthy partner, so don't be surprized if you see a 80+ come in my boat this yr. During the Wateree Tournament would be nice:crazy:. Good luck on your goals

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....loosen up a little more when fishing tournys ...."

Well, you need to pay attention to some of the "psychology of fishing" questions I throw out there. "Staying loose" in a tournament situation is critical to peforming to the maximum of you capabilities. How many times have you done well in practice and then bad in a tournament and blame it on the fish not biting, yet other bring 'em in???

Lots of things in fishing are a mental game, especially when you are striving to become better, or when you are trying to compete in tournaments.

Setting goals is a critical part of the mental game. The goals first need to be written down, they need to reasonable, and you need to be actually able to accomplish them with the means you have. Being able to slam dunk a basketball is a great goal for an athlete, but if you are five feet tall and fifty years old that will NEVER happen.

"....80lb mark on a blue from wateree and wylie...."

I'm fishing for a 60+ pounder, and you're fishing for an 80+ pounder! Good goal Bowlerman!! A 79 pounder counts for my goal, but a 79 won't meet yours!!!

:smile2:

Do you think an 80+ pound fish exists in Lake Wylie?

:crazy:

Good posts guys.

11. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    My goal for 2010 is

1. Catch a blue 50+ Lbs. (my PB is 27lbs)
    2. Target flatheads more and catch a 20lber.
    3. Put more fish in the freezer to have a fish fry on my birthday.

These are my three goals that should be easy to accomplish.

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i fish per year you got behind ya...you better get out there you gotta alot of fishing to do!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink::wink::eek:oooh:llllJust messin with ya!!

13. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    my goal for 2010 is to fish all of the carolina catfish club tournaments,and to catch the Lake Norman blue cat record for a rod and reel,and also post my pics @reports,so everyone will no i actually put my boat in the lake.there will be more deer in the woods next year because for the first time in 17 years i am going to fish all fall instead of hunt.:eek:oooh:great post wyliecat.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My goals are to get a blue over 50lbs, a flathead over 60lbs, and I'd really like to weigh in over 60lbs in a tournament! Pretty steep but I think I can accomplish at least one of them:smile2::wink:

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I just plain Love Catfishing so my number 1 goal is to go fishing!!

But to break it down a little better:

1. Restore the balance of power within the HillJack intermediate family and regain the family record catfish............... over 43 pounds will do nicely

2. Run the best catfish tournament trail that Georgia/Alabama has to offer: Chattahoochee HillJack Catfishing

3. Finish top 3 in a Cabelas King Kat qualifier OR Bass Pro Big Cat Quest qualifier

4. Participate in the Madison Classic and the King Kat classic

5. Put my wife on a 20 pound (or larger) catfish

16. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Shain.
    You already have number 2 down..
    You done a really good job this year brother..
    Puddle:wink:
    Oh goals , I set PB in all the big three this year so my goal now, is to fish more and have some fun and if a big one shows, well great...:big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My goals are to try to serve the Lord better, and to continue to grow as a person, and to stay healthy. Then:

Break the 60 pound mark on a blue
    Break the 50 pound mark on a flathead

I guess me and Dieter are running about neck and neck on our blue and flattie PBs.

One last goal is to be able to put as many people as possible on their new PBs. I get as much or MORE gratification seeing OTHER folks catch PBs, and the looks on their face, and see the goose bumps on their arms. It is MORE exciting for me put someone else on one as it is for me to catch it myself. I always have a standing invitation to any BOC member in the country that I will serve them by putting them on fish, as long as they can fuel my boat. It's all good. Peace and love to all!

BB in SC

Bill in SC

18. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I completely agree with you bill if you get a chance look at Kevin's pic that is the biggest smile I have ever seen and one of the best trips I have been on in a while December has been a great month for me i have put four different ppl on there pb

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My goals are to:
    1. keep teahcing my boys everything I know...and keep learning what I dont.

2. Get out of my compfort zone and explore more good spots on the lower colorado.

3. get more confident with navigating my boat at night.

4. be ready for the big ones once they start moving in the spring and get revenge on the one that snatched my pole in the water this past spring!

20. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey Bill i need a new pb,i got the fuel money ole buddy ole pal:big_smile::big_smile: