go to spots- whats there?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bw69r, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    we all have our favorite places or go to spots we fish that are the most productive. i was wondering what you guys think or know is there under water that keeps those spots producing (structure, depth, ledges, weeds, whatever). describe your spots and how you fish them. mine is basically a flat with the depth i fish at being 3-11 feet. most productive depth being about 9 feet. the bottom is pretty flat with an occasional rock or a log that has floated in and gotten stuck there. like a carolina set up with a 7/0 hook and one or two soft glow beads above the hook. bluegills and chubs and the occasional sucker are productive. but the go to bait is large rock bass when i can get them or trout. i believe my fish are coming off of man made structure in deeper water that come up on the flat cruising for food before heading on back. i am for the most part bank bound (unless some BOC brothers with boats come for a visit.) or i would fish those man made places but they are out of my reach. do get a good many fish in the 3 foot range as well.

2. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    well lets see 14'-18' depth rocks logs and hmm how i explain it.. well ive pulled in 5' long 6'' round logs and ive also pulled in alot of road mesh.. bright orange 2'' squares kinda like its holding rocks from going into an inbankment or something.. have pulled in atleast 3 sections of it still on posts well a post on 1 end of it usualy 4' by 6' or 8' im guessing the mesh is on the high side of the shielf cause i dont seem to grab it if i get my set up onto the lower part of the shelf just the shallower parts.. my guess it holds alot of bait and bait fish in the area very slow current depending on the water i can 90% of the time get fish off it either far short or on the mesh.. have to use circle hooks their as Khales are not an option EVERY khale i throw in is either lost or im pulling up something :confused2: oh and a few underwater trees take up some location in the 3' to 6' depths.. so realy any water condition i can adept. CatchingHogs and Zebo have been their... but unfortunatly they were their when Spawn was starting :wink:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Rocks or steel.Mostly all of my go to spots have some kind of large underwater rock nearby.The bigger and nastier the rock the better.I like steel in either posts or pillars for something or just old rusted out barges.I like wood,but their isn,t very much of it in the rivers around the city.I like something pretty straight for them to follow in and out of a feeding area,barges that have been anchored into shore for a long time,old walls of any sort,bridge piers.I very seldom ever fish a flat.I like behind the round piers they have in the rivers for tugs to tie off to while they wait for locks to open up.When I am actually fishing the spot,I like the livliest bait I can get.I know there,s a lot of guys that say they,ll hit a cut bait when they,re not hungry because it,s easier to catch,but I believe the exact opposite,I feel even if they,re not hungry,Their predatory instinct will kick in if they get close enough to a STRUGGLING bait.IMO.I use 10/0 mustad j hooks 90% of the time.For water depth,it depends on the size of the river for me.Medium sized rivers 4-10 ft,large rivers 8-15,that,s night time depths,don,t do too much daytime flattin.Last but not least,I like a lot of large baitfish in the area,shad,white bass,sauger,walleye sheephead,don,t matter,just so there,s a lot of them around.I don,t particularly like river channels,I feel they only follow them until they get to where they,re gonna cut off them and feed.:wink:.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a spot that is right within rocks throw of the boat ramp. Noone thinks to fish close to the ramp i guess. It is about 15-25 foot deep and full of logs. And its full of fish. My other go to spot is just a deep hole and I believe there are bolders there. Not sure on that one, but i know it produces fish. Hopefully they are still there when i get back. Good luck all.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    one of my goto spots is a 15min walk thru woods down a steep hill then a steep imbankment, its 8-10' deep while the rest of nearby area is shallow 3-4', i think this area produces cause of the 15 min walk, no fishing pressure:wink:

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My go to spot is an eddy about 30 yds long. On the down stream side sits a barge cell in 12 ft. of water. In the middle of the hole it's rocky with some wood mixed in. On the upper side it drops about 2 ft. into the hole and it's just a bunch of small rocks I never get stuck there but the fish come up to feed.

7. Mostly fish from boat in smaller river than you guys out west in the Burg area, deepest is around 12' in the pool I fish.

Mostly cast to around 3-8 feet. I like to hit the transition areas from deep to shallow, ledges, shelve drop offs, rocky stretches with potted with scattered deeper holes. And of course, structure.

As far as my goto spot, when I'm looking to get the skunk off the boat and pretty much guarantee a bite, would be in a rocky area, anchoring at the lowest part of the drop off from the bank, average about 15 yards from the waters edge.

Then spread it out, one shallow, one deep. Next casts one downtown behind the boat , and one even close to under it! Once the pattern shows where they are hitting, that's all she wrote, But I always try to cover as much of that spot as possible after a bait change or recast.

Fishing alone I usually like to anchor the boat sideways to really be able to fan cast over the whole drop off area.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  8. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    My fav. spot is 75 yds down river of a feeder creek that has a ledge running parallel with river that is 15 ft on top then drops off to 35 ft. Lots of good rock structure in the deeper part as well. I also love fishing old wicket dams too. 90% of my big fish (30+lbs) have come from these spots.

9. snag_826

snag_826 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    My spot goes from around 9 feet to 20 feet in a very short distance. The surrounding area is only a few feet deep. The hole also has a lot of structure as well

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    feeder creeks into a lake where it starts to get deep 8 to 10 feet
    and i follow old creek channels when im fishing lakes

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    A lot of good info here already. I fish a lot of the same types as Pat.Old barges or barges that don't move very much. Piers that they tie the barges have been a favorite too. The depth on the mon is mostly 12 foot deep you can find some deeper holes the river is not as deep as many think. And Shawn interesting point about the kahle hooks the couple of times I have fished there just about every cast I lose a rig. I do remember one time last year a little down from where you set up I had a fish on a LIVE gill that was so strong I had my drag a little tight and I swear on this the fish was pulling me towards the water. I tied to loosen the drag but it was to late snap. My friend Matt just looked at me and said son I can't believe what I saw.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My go to spot is always the first deep pool 100 to 200 yards below a dam. To get to this spot you first have to drive through one of Philadelphia's most affluent neighborhood and many signs that warn you there is somekind of neighborhood watch going on. After illegally parking on the side of the rod, you must past sever NO TRESSPASSING signs and walk down a creek that leads to the river. After another 15 minutes walking up rocks and hills, you must make the dangerous 30 ft incline down to the available bank.

The spot is a 12 to 15 feet pool that has raging current in the middle but eddies off on both sides. The cover I am fishing is sandy bottom with boulders and rocks.

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    great stuff here fellas. keep'em coming. we can all learn something here.

14. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Most all of mine have some kind of wooded structure on the either tree falls in shallow water that you can see above surface or logs and such on the bottom reguardless of the depth. Haven't fished a lot of areas with big rocks but sound like i need to find some and see what I can get out of those holes.