Go Fly a Kite

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by tkishkape, Aug 15, 2007.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I've been working on a BDS (Bait Delivery System) to carry a bait about 1500 feet from my closest legal anchorage below a dam. I want to be able to place a bait at the face of the dam between the tainters where the water continuously leaks and draws baitfish and big blues.

I use a balloon rig floating on the water and carried by the eddy current back toward the gates, but the baits never get but 1000 feet from the boat when they begin to drift back toward me. This does produce fish, but the bait won't go to where I want it to. So I studied some more.

In Oklahoma, we have a prevailing wind from the South which blows directly into the downstream side of the tainter gates at L&D16. I thought about adapting the proven saltwater technique of kiting.

So far, the correct kite has not been found, but it looks promising. I started with a standard dime-store plastic kite. It towed my baits almost 400 feet before the weight of the line and bait combined caused it to stop progressing away. Next I tried a medium power 36" wide kite which carried the bait to 500 feet... but still need more power. I am going to try stacking two kites together in tandem and see if that helps.

For those to whom this is a new exposure, the kite is held down by a 2 liter soda bottle partially filled with sand to the point that the kite cannot lift it. The soda bottle is attached to the kite line. The fishing line is attached to the kite line using a clip similar to a downrigger clip so that when a fish strikes the bait, the line is released and the fish is retrieved normally with the rod and reel.

The AFCO brand fishing kite is so expensive that I'd rather find an alternative, but it may be the only way to go.

What help can a brother BOC member offer?

2. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey when reading your post I had a what I think would be a good idea to help remedy your situation. You could always try a rc boat. Not sure the price. Probably fairly inexpensive.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck and thanks for sharing.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Albert, what type of kite did you make? What size?

You might try the following site, and make a sled kite, as I believe it would get the most lift, and pulling force.

Kite Plan Page

Also might need to double up on the kites, as in , 2 kites, connected in paralel.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Why Albert that is just insane!:eek:oooh:

I mean what kind of person does it take to come up with flying a kite to deliver bait?:crazy:

Ahem......... let me know if it works brother. You see I have a similiar situation on my hands.:wink:

This could be brilliant!:smile2:

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Theres a RC boat being marketed for bait delivery. SmartCast Finder, extended range, etc.. If I remember correctly, max range was something like 1000 though.. Don't know if you can get RC 1500 or not....Boat with a Smartcast would be pretty handy though.. Be able to zero in on any structure or drop-offs and put your bait right in the bite zone I would think.....

7. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    First I bought a standard dime-store kite, but it was not able to even get a quarter of the range I needed. Next, I bought one of those trick fighting kites. It was better and quite controllable, but still lacked the range I need.

I studied the ATCO kites, and I have no doubt that they can work at the range I need, but the price is just prohibitive. The sled type kite is what the Australiand use to fish the saltwater from the beach, but once again, the cost is much greater than I can bear. I'll check out the plans website and see if I can build one.

I own 2 RC boats. The first one lacked the range, and the second one has a tendancy to sink. Neither one worked well due to interference with the L&D control frequencies and the strong currents encountered within the settling basins.

Thanks for all of the input. I'll keep you posted.

8. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Have you thought about making a bait boat from styrofoam and a trolling motor? I have a friend who used to own a radio control shop, and works with radio controlled planes a lot, so he may know the frequencies and stuff that you would need to use to get the range you need, and not get interferance.

9. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, I've asked my friend and I'm waiting for a response, if anyone knows of a way to do it via R/C, he will know how.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There are fellows that have made a styrofoam boat and successfully run them below the dams using a second fishing rod to retrieve them. They do work, but they're not legal to use during a tournament setting. Tournament rules expressly prohibit the use of gasoline or electric powered delivery systems (damboats). Currently the rules do not prohibit the use of balloons or kites.

11. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    GOTCHA~!!!!!

In that case, the sled, or diamond would be the way to go. If you make a diamond kite, you can double and tripple it by attaching a 2 ft long line from each corner of 1 to each corner of the next in line. Kinda hard to describe, but, if you make them, then stack 1 on top of the other, you could then do it easily.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Tony, I would like to see the response your friend sends ya though.. Please post when he replies.. Would be interesting anyways :big_smile:

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    In order for a remote control boat to make the distance go to the RC store and boost the transmitter. Got friends that go 1500 plus easily.