go figure!!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tacraft61, Jun 5, 2008.

1. tacraft61

tacraft61 New Member

State:
    Powell, Ohio, U
    was up in alliance visiting family and managed to come across some fine shad schooling along the shores around the south end of berlin res. and deercreek res.brought a few dozen home and low and behold rain for days:angry:.so what the hay put them in the freezer till this weekend.hopefully the weather will calm down and the bite will be worth the patience..

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    At least you got the bait. They'll be good when the river goes back down as long as you froze them pretty quick. Good Luck with them, keep us posted!!!

3. tacraft61

tacraft61 New Member

State:
    Powell, Ohio, U
    they were pretty much kicking when i stuck them in the sack:wink: i'm hopeing to use them reel soon

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You should do well with them then. Flathunter( an Ohio Brother and a Great guy) fishes mainly with frozen shad and has caught some Awesome Flatties with them. Me personally have never had much luck with shad, frozen or fresh. I don't know why but I always do better on anything else I use. Lots of people I know use frozen Shad with lots of success.
    Let us know how you do!!!!! Good Luck!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Aye! As long as they hit the ice fresh and remain frozen til baited up, good as new IMO. I no longer use live bait..cause I always end up killing it in the process of making it most presentable~!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think the shad will keep that long, I just don't know if the rivers will cooperate.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Shane may be right on about the rivers. I'd try an area where a feeder creek comes in and try there. If the water is still within the banks you should do good. If not, well, I'm not really sure what to say....:confused2:
    Those Shad should last quite a while, in my experience after you thaw them once and refreeze them they tend to get mushy the second thaw. I know people that still catch Cats like that but their just harder to keep on the hook especially in a lot of current.