GNATS- How to deal with them ???? HELP ME

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sscharlie, May 25, 2009.

1. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    GNATS-These pesky things are driving me up a wall to no end. I've looked around to see whats been working and not very much has. They are like kamikaze pilots constantly hitting your face and ears. Not much different than someone throwing sand in your face all the time. And then theres the time they get stuck between your glass's and your eye...Holy crap!!!! Only relief I've found is to have a smoke and keepa smoke cloud close to my face. As soon as that's done, there back with a vengeance. Needless to say, I'm feeling like crap from so many smokes. The off, deet, listerene don't seem to make much of an effect on them. Does OK for the sketters. Even the thermo cells don't do a lot. Are they attracted to the heat from our heads or what? I'm on the bank too. I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help. Anyone got any surefire methods of killing these little bugers shot of a nuclear weapon. I did find one suggestion to use some vanilla on your cap brem. Anyone try this yet? Thanks in advance, signed, "pissed from the bank".

2. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Buy some cheap imatation vanilla and put some in the palm of your hands,rub togeather a little and pat your face,ears ,neck, forehead and any exposed skin and it should hold them at bay.You may have to put more on after a while but has always worked for me.
    You will smell like cookies but it worth it,you need to bath after a days fishen anyways. Good luck

3. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanks Dean, I'll definitely give this one a try, besides, smelling like cookies can't be all bad LOL PS. I don't think the vanilla will heart the channel baits, I use it in there already.

4. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to the BOC Dean

5. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Stan, you can try undoing your belt a couple of sizes, so your butt-crack shows. That should help keep them away from your face. :smile2:

Or you could try changing shampoos. I use Pert through the winter, but in the summer, the gnats aggravate the snot out of you. Then, I switch to Prell. IT does much better. It's something with the shampoo that makes a big difference. I found it out from a co-worker - they were all over me, and none on him. He said it must have been the shampoo, so I tried it, and it worked.

Hope this helps.

6. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanks GatorT, I was thinking of trying that. Went today and was going to try the vanilla but it was drizzling rain all day and had a no-show out of the little buggers. Already tried the belt trick and didn't make a differance..LOL Mabe I should try the shampoo there...LMAO

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Absorbine Jr. works for me.

8. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    I use to live in Ga. and the gnats were thick, we used SSS oil (Skin So Soft) from AVON work real well.

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I WILL LIGHT A SMALL FIRE AND THEN PUT IT OUT WHERE IT WILL JUST SMOKE AND KEEP THEM OFF OF YOU.I ALSO HEARD THAT YOU TAKE A TEASPOON OF SULFER IT WILL HELP WITH THE GNATS AND MASQUITOS.I HAVE NEVER TRIED IT BUT PEOPLE TELL ME IT WORKS I JUST DON'T WANT TO EAT THE STUFF.

10. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I'm with Gator, cut a hole in the seat of your pants to give your face a break,:smile2: , seriously if you fiind something that works let us know.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you take garlic pills, it will make the nats and mosquitoes leave.

12. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Mickey, I could write a ton of comeback lines to your statement but don't want to make ya laugh to much because of your ribs hurting, so I'll just pass this time...LOL

13. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Just try slapping yourself every 5 seconds. I usually spray a little OFF on my hat when I fish.

14. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i can remember my mother rubbing skin-so-soft by avon all ovr my face as a kid spiecifically for gnats during baseball season. they would torment us on the ball field, until one of the mothers discoved that this avon product works. u can pick it up at any walgreens.