Gnats....gnats....these dang gnats!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jan 8, 2007.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    OK, not sure what is going on but it seems like gnats have decided to visit this winter and keep poping up. It is weird. They are here and then leave for a day or two and then come back. No food laying around and dishes are done daily.

Any idea's on how to get rid of these things. Want to avoid sprays and such because of Madison.

Thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Tea, it sounds to me like it may be fruit flies. If so get rid of any fruit laying around that is rotten or getting old.

3. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope, none laying around. Have checked, unless Madison has hid something we can't find. They are just irritating me.

Thanks though

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Tea you might try takeing a bath :haha:

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Tea...:amazed: ...throw out the house plants or change the soil!:sad_2a: ...LOL My Ex use to have house plants and I would find these darn small flying critters all over the soil.:crazy: :0a26:

6. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    No house plants, so...............

7. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Do you use a septic system at your home ????? I do and I think they breed in the drains. I am not sure though !!!!

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do you have a potatoe box? We had one, then some taters got soft, and the gnats began to fly. We got rid of it, and now no more gnats.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    No house plants...hmmmmm:embarassed: .......take a shower like Dale said then.:crazy: :lol: ...LOL....Have a worm farm going there?:confused2:

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Taking a shower shortly, let ya know if it helps. lol

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My grand daddy always told me if you would cut a hole in the seat of your pants then the gnats wouldn't get into your face.:lol: :lol:

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    WTG Bubba. Reps to you my friend. Sounds like good, sound advice.

13. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    we had em once and kept killing and killing but they seemed to just keep comming. Come to find out there was a few potatoes in a bag that got lost tucked in way behind the plastic grocery bags on the floor of the pantry. Drove me nuts for days. If it helps the gnats never seemed to be more than 10 ft. from the source.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Them are Circle Flies, I tell ya!!!! Ya just can't fool those Circle Flies, LMAO!!!

15. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I keep my fly open... it keeps them away from my face...:lol:

~~~~~~~~~~
    The world is a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed. (Sean O'Casey)

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just checking back in to see if the bath did any good:lol: .

17. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Empty pop (soda) cans will attract fruit flies as well. If you recycle, keep it out doors or rinse them out first.

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Tea, you might want to plant a container of lemongrass. It helps keep the gnats and other things away.

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You can also get rid of gnats by using products found around the home. Since they are attracted to the scent of vinegar, fill a jar with vinegar and poke holes in the lid. The gnats will climb into the jar, but they won't be able to climb out. For those that remain in the house, try putting vegetable oil around your kitchen sink drain. Gnats finding themselves coated in the oil will be unable to breed. If you're not interested in potentially clogging your drain with vegetable oil, pouring a cup of ammonia down your kitchen sink is said to get rid of any flies hovering around that area. Let it sit for a couple of hours before using the sink again.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-get-rid-of-gnats.htm

Tea,
    There are lots more links on the net, but the above vinegar and ammonia deal seems to work.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheryl

20. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope, still flying around. lol