gmr winter catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by david.lay25, Jan 11, 2009.

1. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    anyone fishing the great miami lately ,and with any luck .

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Not in the last two weeks and with the cold temps this week, looks like the next 7-8 days at least are out of the question. Good luck if you go.

Salmonid

3. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Let us know if you do any good. I have a couple of ideas for places to hit during the winter but haven't made it yet myself. I haven't any luck catching the stupid rainbow trout this year, which I catch to use as cutbait early in the year. My buddy got 2 yesterday and 4 today so maybe my luck will change if I can brave the cold. Wouldn't mind dropping some chicken liver into a channel cat hole so please keep us informed.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dogcat, are you getting your trout at Sycamore sp?? or where?
    Id love to get some myself

Salmonid

5. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Hey Mark, Spring Lake in Bellbrook is where I go. I have also hit Possum Creek a couple of times but never Sycamore. Not my idea of fishing, like shooting trout in...well you know. LOL. It's close to me here near the Greene and the price for the pass pays for the gas. They put channel cats in there in the summer but I am too busy on the river or in creeks catching bait with what time I have to fish to mess with stocked channels. I was thinking the warm water discharge on the GMR near Miamisburg at the power plant would be one place to drop some liver or some cutbait in winter any thoughts?

6. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    All of the property near the powerplant where the discharge is on the west side is posted. It's a mighty cast to hit it from the east bank. You could try a boat, but being a couple hundred yards up stream from a low damn makes me sweat thinking about it. There's a discharge from the Franklin water treatment plant further to the south if you can take the occasional stench. It's on the east bank without easy access, but it's a heck of a lot safer for a manpowered boat there.

Good luck.

Spencer

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    down by rice field I agree good place to go also down by hutchinson low dam as well rick

8. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Agreed about the distance and I have to remember I fished there in the late summer when water was soooo low. We setup on a sandbar gravel bar where the dry creek fed in and could fish that bank with ease. I must see that place sometime when the water is up.