GMR today

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by pendog66, Nov 9, 2009.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i got off of work at 4 and decided to try flathead fishing for a little while. I also took minnows to maybe try to get some saugeye. I fished this section of river quite a bit this summer and had some ideas on where the flatheads would be wintering. I threw out cut shad on my liveliner and starting fishing for saugeye on my other rod. After about an hour i heard my clicker zing real loud. I turned around and the fish was still thumping my rod, i set hook and landed a 9.5 pound channel. The fish was a beast. Nothing hit for the next half hour and was about to call it quits since it was getting dark. But i decided to try to jig with my rod through the hole i was fishing with shad. I put on a 5oz sinker and made about a 3 foot leader line with a 8/0 gam circle hook. I made a few casts and had no hits. On my 4th cast i popped the sinker and let it sit, my rod got thumped and buried.:crazy: I pulled up lightly felt the fish and he came off:angry:. I sat there for a few minutes and made another cast in the same place. I made one pop on the sinker and this time he didnt let go. He buried the rod and i landed a 8 pound football shaped flathead. It was dark at this point so i called it quits, not a bad way to spend the evening. i forgot the digital so i had to take the pics on my cell phone.

Attached Files:

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good looking fish Nate! Glad to see your still after em bro!

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thanks man, i started work again so i dont have as much time as i use to. This winter i want to try to target bigger channels in the river and lakes this wasnt a bad start

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Nate on some nice fish. WTG. Enjoyed the pics.

5. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    nice job bro! glad to see the flats are still going.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nate congrats on the catch an the nice pic's you posted thanks.

7. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the info an pictures sounds like a good start to me.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    They can still be caught, good job.

9. Great report Nate, I have been trying to nail a Flattie for at least two weeks now out east here, just the channels are hitting. Good job bro.