GMR Report 9/27-28 :)

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by JBrooks, Sep 28, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Got ahold of Josh (Prostreets10) and we decided to head out tonight. Rising waters, front coming in, temperatures dropping - I figured tonight was going to be a night that I couldn't pass up for fishin'.

We put the Jon Boat in the water and started getting shad. We couldn't get any shad in about a 500 stretch of river. After throwing for about 2 hours, we had 1 8inch shad, 3inch shad, and a decent sized drum. We made due with what we had, and started fishing. We netted more gar than we did bait fish :smile2:. By this time it was 9 PM.

First fish in the boat was a 15 pound flathead, second was an 11 pound flathead, then a 22 went for a run. While he was unhooking the 22, I had a run and hooked into - it was a 5 - 6 lb channel, had a double in the boat! :smile2: All in 2 hours time. I had a few runs, but my circle hooks weren't doing it for me. That spot slowed down, so we anchored up under a bridge, fishing a massive timber pile. In that pile Josh yanked out a 10 LB and an 8 LB Flathead, I got a 6 - 8 LB Flattie also. Spot slowed down, so we moved.

On our way down to the bridge we noticed an eddy, so we agreed to hit it on the way up. Glad we did! Josh covered one bank, I covered the other.
    That 22 hit in this spot, and my channel where we had the double. We lost a good flathead at the boat, and another one on the hook set, both seemed like great fish.

Wind started picking really heavily, made keeping the boat anchored a real pain. Started seeing some heat lightning coming in, but we stretched it as much as we could until safety issues came involved. :smile2: Last fish of the night Josh set into, and it was a good one. Started ripping drag as soon as he set the hook. After a good long fish (and crossing both of my lines, and turning the boat every which direction), it was a big ole flathead.

The net wouldn't fit him, so I leaned down and lipped the guy. Getting him on the scales, hit weighed in at 37 pounds!

Over the course of the night, the weighs were 8, 10, 10, 15, 21, 37 - and my flathead and channel (didn't weight them). Definitely made for one of the best nights - especially for flatheads - especially for the GMR. 9 fish in total (if I remember right). 2 channels, 7 flatheads.

Josh has the pictures, and he'll upload them soon. Can't wait to see them.

I guess that rule is true, if you have a horrible time getting bait, hang in there because the fishin' is going to be good. One thing I learned from last night is - use JHooks on the GMR!

/ James

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Awesome catch James! You guys had a great time out fishing there. I'm still on the skunk list at 18 in a row.

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sounds like a heck of a fun trip. Pretty near non-stop action. Good going!:cool2:

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    grea night guys! sounds like fun!

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    had a great night finally getting out on the boat with james. The fish were bitin good. too bad the lightning couldnt hold out for us i think we could we have put some more fish in the boat. Wanna thank James{jbrooks} for lipping the fish after a couple try with the net and seeing it wasnt gonna fit.lol

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    heres a few pics of the fish

Attached Files:

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    couple more

Attached Files:

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    think this is it

Attached Files:

9. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    congratulations on a great night, makes me wish i had gone out a little later than i did just way to much debris in the river yesterday

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    congrats, sounds like a great night of fishing, nice flatty there

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    congrats on the awesome night

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Freakin' love that release picture. :big_smile::big_smile:

Matt, we didn't have debris to worry about on the GMR, except some guy dropping soem flaming god knows what off of the bridge a couple hundred feet down from us - where we were anchored just 20 minutes earlier. :eek:oooh:

13. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Way to go guys thats a nite to remember. Congrats on that list of good fish!

14. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
  15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yea deffinantly a night to remember. That was also my PB flathead and ohio catfish.:big_smile:

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Congrats on the PB bro thats a PIG!:big_smile:

17. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Great night guys! Congrats.