GMR Report 1/8/06

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 8, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Made a real quick trip today. Launched Salmonid's drfit boat. We actually "fished" for prob just under 2 hours or so. Only landed one channel. We should have boated 4 others. I was in the front of the boat batling the anchor & wind, screwed up a couple time & missed a couple. Take me away from circle hooks & rod holders & I just cant cut it anymore! :p Every single hit was on frozen Skipjack, which is a 1st for me out of this river. Normally frozen Shad outfished Skips, but today nothing touched the Shad.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those skips may be good for something after all, how well did the boat preform.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was surprised w/ the boat. It has plenty of room in it. We had some pretty high winds, there for a while fishing was rough. Yes Jack, I am glad the Skips performed, I was about to throw out a whole freezer of them.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well at least they are biting! i might go out later after 'eyes if the wind dies down.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Hey, Next week I'm off Sun. Mon. and Tues. Looking to hit a few lakes for some cats. If someone wants to go with me just let me know.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bryan, Good deal today, 39 degree water and we had enough good runs ( 5) for 2 hrs to make it interesting. Now if either of us could just hook the darn things, The one I got was nice plump 4 1/4 lb fish about 2 minutes after we got there, a great start!

Lesson learned, As "side kick, it seems I keep outfishing my Mentor, perhaps Mellon should be moved back down to "Sidekick" level ( with me) Perhaps I could teach Mellon a thing or two, ( Just kidding) :p
    Jack, what do you think?? Is Mellon justified as my Mentor or is he more like a Sidekick with experience :rolleyes:

Another lesson learned is that as Sidekick, I should have brought a outboard motor that actually had a prop with a "working" shear Pin!!! Lucky for us the drift boat has a backup set of oars!!

Hoefully the halfway decent weather will hold through the week and we can get out again next Sunday am. I promise a working motor!

Salmonid

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey mark, just got my boat back today from your brother in law. he did a really good job for me. if you guys go out next weekend you might just see me out too (depending on weather), im startin to get the itch too. the place you guys went is one of three of my winter channel spots.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I'm sure I'll be fishing next Sunday morning, sure as hell wont be watching the Bengals in round 2 of the playoffs. :cursing:

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Bryan, dont tell me your a little "Bitter" about that loss are we? Sure you didnt bet your avatar again did you?? What a sucker! ;)

Now that the Bunglers are out, you can now spend more serious time cleaning reels and waiting for warmer weather like the rest of us...It took me about an hour to Thaw out this afternoon, that wind was downright nasty!

Hey Dink, Im glad Steve hooked you up on the boat, he does great work!, The only honest mechanic in the SW Ohio area too!! Perhaps next time we can get a Mini outing out and fill a few boats and see what we can do out there!

Salmonid

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got in the Jeep & the Cincy weather said it was 44. Yea right, well in Dayton is sure wasnt that! I was chilled even when I came home. I got under some blankets & curled up like a baby.

Something I noticed today, I think I messed up the drag on my 6500 Trophy. :cursing:

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Salmonid, her eis the pic, if you wanted to save it on your cpmputer

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    How can you have screwed it up, all you did was reel in bait a few times today?? Then there was those Half-arsed things you called a Hookset?? :p
    Just teasing ya !!
    What is it doing? Im sure that Chris H. at Fishermens Quarters can fix it, he is the local guru.
    Salmonid

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mini outing doesnt sound bad, i'll be out sat or/and sun this week depending on the weather. the saugeyes just dont cut it for me. how big were the pieces of skip you were using?

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Youd have to be blindfolder, spun around 100 times, tied upside down & donate a live animal for sacraifce in order of not revealing this spot.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh yeah, i wouldnt tell anyone unless they know already. you couldnt get but a couple of boats in there anyway. ive only told 2 others about that area and they dont do channels.

16. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wished the water was decent level to try for some cats around here right now. Good going on the fish! :D

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dink, most pieces were between about 1" wide by 2" long by about 2" wide. My fish had no problem eating the bait but the other runs could have been smaller fish, we also fished small frozen shad pieces about 1/4" wide by the size of a Silver dollar, not a hit on those.
    Experimentation will take many years, Ill get back with ya on that when I figure out whats going on under the water ;)

Salmonid

18. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey RockBass. What part of the state are you in? SW Ohio is back in fishable shape finally until the next rain...... :sad:
    Salmonid

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this is the first winter that i've had shad stockpiled in the freezer, never used them this time of year, cant wait to try them. i used to just go catch a bunch of creek chubs and use them freshly cut.

20. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tusc county about 2 hours east of Columbus. The river right by my house is up and and decent winter spot to try is out of the question right now, but it is coming down.