GMR Pressure?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CatFuStyle, Jun 12, 2009.

1. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i noticed last weekend that the pressure is way up, went to three holes that i know about, and all three were just over run, was crazy, so me and my buddy ended up trying one more but knew we had to pack all the equipment in for a 20 minute hike, didnt catch anything had some runs and still had an enjoyable night, but do you guys think the pressure is way up this year, in one spot i counted 20 people... im also sure this just isnt with the GMR as well, so lets here your opinions...

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had to quit fishing the spot on the GMR I have fished my whole life because of the overcrowding. It was getting normal to hike all the way out to my spot to find 20+ people there.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is the same on all our inland rivers in Ohio, I dont know hown much more pressure our fishery can take, before it starts to decline.

4. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I started fishing the Muskingum three years ago and it was'nt uncommon for me to be the only boat out there at 3 am. on a weekend. Now I will see several boats out there not to mention the recreation boaters. I think the growing popularity of catfishing is eventually going to destroy it. Especially for flatheads.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Amen Brother, you are right on the Mark.

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know it sucks. a lot of them probably aint fishing for flats.but if you fish anywhere around them you give up a very treasured secret.then they will be after them, shane

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    the gmr is my home river and i agree that pressure is way up! i only have a few spots left where i wont see other fisherman and still catch decent flatheads... part of the problem is how much access the gmr has. roads and bikepaths run along a good bit of it. alot of pakelake fisherman area learning to fish the river and ive seen countless decent fish on stringers to head home, you can take a few smaller fish from big rivers like the ohio but i dont think its good for the smaller tributaries.

8. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    very well said. our maumee river i would count as smaller too. thanks, shane

9. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    yeah it just blows, i dont mind people fishing these spots, but i cpr, and 90% of the time i dont even take photos and my buddies that go with me dont even take photos so we dont give away anything, i dont talk about catches unless its with someone i know wont go to a spot unless there with me and vice versa, id hope that all this new pressure these fishermen and women are being selective but not all new pressure is good and we can probally exspect a drop in flathead populations, i hope this isnt the case but is most likely to happen, so sometime this week its my mission to go scouting and find more spots with little access and hard to reach areas so i can get away from all the pressure.

shanelures, thats one of the main reasons i didnt fish the spots i went to and seen they was over crowded, down side to this was the one hole every single person was fishing for flatheads although it is a well known flathead hole, most that fish that spot cpr the fish, but the carpers and drinkers are also pretty bad so i just left shaking my head cause the area was trashed...

10. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    yep, me and the wife fish mostly lakes,i have seen for the last 3 weeks how many new faces are showing up at the lake, in a way all them new pepole fishing sucks, but with jobs going the way they are ,and with the way gas and oil going up,lets just hope they keep the outdoors like they found them or better:big_smile: