GMR just north of Dayton

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dogcat, Aug 10, 2008.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    They just dredged a site near a bridge construction N of Riverscape near the low head where the Stillwater and GMR meetin Dayton. T J and I got there about 7:30AM and I had all these landed except the larger channel in an hour. The smallmouth was about 14 inches for comparison, all caught on 3-6 inch chubs and sunfish. T J got the bigger one about an hour later and we landed several small cats and Smallmouths on a new "island" they created from dredging with the equipment still around. here is a pic. The only reason we keep them is a friend's wife is not picky about what she eats, cooks them asian style??? but still a good outing. I have no pics of 2 weeks ago North near Troy when we caught 18 between us, me about 10-12 and most ran 5 pounds or better which were released. I have never seen such beat up, missing whiskers, huge sores on fish...blech!
    Post spawn?
    Last Sunday in the same stretch we caught 3 early including a flattie which T J had left a pole behind going for saugeye near the low head in Troy. It had a black fungus or skin disorder covering most of it's body, mouth and tongue. I could have swore it was black phase channel till I got close and saw the bottom jaw jutting out.

Attached Files:

2. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice fish. im curious, whats a black phase channel?

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a nice day on the water, congrats and good luck in the future

4. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    nice fish. im curious, whats a black phase channel

Brittan, male channels sometimes turn very dark black and get bumps on their nose/head during spawn here is a pic of another caught 2 years ago. This year I have landed 4 or 5 but no pics.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34010

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh