GMR is out.....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dogcat, Jun 5, 2008.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    going to try some chicken livers at Delco park this evening just to ease the need a bit.
    My buddy and I waded the Mad River Sunday and had a good time catching brown trout, bass and I caught a huge rock bass....MMMM bait!

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have always wondered if you could use rock bass in Ohio. I thought that bass were illegal as bait, but are rock bass really bass?

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you can use any fish for bait in Ohio as long as it is caught on rod and reel and is of legal size where you are fishing

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That makes sense. I have seen people get in trouble for using bass as bait, but it was probably because it was too small. How would I look up a rock bass? Is it really a rock bass or what kind of fish would it be considered?

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    A rock bass, as well as a smallmouth and largemouth bass and bluegill are all members of the Sunfish Family .... Garry- :eek:oooh:

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hmm maybe my memory is going crazy. I could have sworn when I was a kid a ranger asked my dad if the tiny bass he caught was being used as bait or if it was something he caught. I remember him saying he could get in trouble for using it as bait. That was over 20 years ago though so my memory could just be shot. Maybe the regulations changed.

Just goes to show though don't trust anything you didin't verify yourself!

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    theres not a size limit on rock bass that i can remember.

8. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Didn't make it. My dentist started the dam drill once before entering my mouth and nicked my lip, didn't do much damage but hurt like crazy. I don't do novacaine for fillings, he thinks I am nuts, you can be sure that was a surprise. Thinking of heading for a few tonight just wish the wind would drop a bit but I think the bite will be on with these unexpected thunderstorms entering Indiana. Those pond channels really respond to approaching storm systems and seem to feed well right before. The place I set up is exposed facing south and that hot wind blowing just doesn't seem appealing. I am turning into a real wimp this year. The wading about killed me, although the Mad was up from what I usually see that far north. And as to rock bass, there is no size limit are as much of a game fish as other small sunfish like gills, pumpkinseeds etc. Just can't keep them for bait legally if not taken by rod and reel. I was surprised at it's size as most I caught years ago were tin the 3-5 inch range and this was 8-9 inches.