GMR, how far above Hamilton have you......

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Nov 2, 2009.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ....have you caught Drum, Gar, Buffalo, and White Bass? we were sitting along the gmr yesterday thinking of all the fish that are in the river from the last dam and south that the northern GMR does not have. i know from Renstchler forest and upstream i have never heard of or seen those mentioned fish, and know they exist after knightsbridge dam but was wondering about from Rentschler dam thru downtown Hamilton...? my guess is those fish were wiped out in the northern gmr beyond recovery sometime in the past due to pollution. have talked to many "old timers" up this way that have said "river was so polluted back then that about all you could catch was carp" and, "river changed colors every day" :crazy:

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I can honestly say I have never heard of a reliable source of any of those species above Hamilton but doesnt mean they are not up there. I am sure the dams really play havoc with migratory species such as LN Gar and White Bass ( swim upstream to spawn) but not sure about spawning habit s of Drum.

An interesting side note here is that a parellel watershed like the LMR is pretty much dam free all the way up to Xenia but yet those same 3 species are typically only present up to about Waynesville. A few factors to think about , Ceasers Creek ( the creek below the dam) is the best spawning water available on the entire LMR. The river substrate changes from shale/bedrock/limestone bottom to a Mud bottomed stream in the same area and lastly the gradient is much lower above Waynesville which have a lot to do with finding spawning gravel above that point. Just my .02, I believe all 3 contribute to al 3 of those species petering out around where CC dumps in to the LMR.

Salmonid

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've caught drum, gar, and white bass at hte BStreet dam more often than I net a shad.

Below the Hamilton dams, I honestly net 2 - 4 drum each time I cast in the GMR for bait. I've even netted some monster short nose gar on a few occasions. :smile2:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks. i was thinking there should be those species in the pool between the dams seeing how knightsbridge dam (the last one) is not that old. those b-street and rentschler dams are ANCIENT! rentchler dam is so tall i cant see anything getting past that at all.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah, true. :smile2:
    There's also a feeder creek that dumps into BStreet dam, that comes from a decent sized lake (correct me if I'm wrong). If anything, the BStreet may be the best one to fish.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that "feeder creek" is actually a channel that starts behind rentcher dam and flows down to b-street with a small dam on it as well. we used to refer to it as "the hamilton river". heard of some small flats coming from out of that channel but mostly channels and carp.

7. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I remember fishing a spot up north of troy with my dad... I think is was on the stillwater and we saw some small gar swimming around in there.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i havent seen any gar up here, but i have caught the stray northern pike in the stillwater and plenty of quillback. I know of people talking about white bass at the Ewood dam but i have never seen them

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If were talking about the same stretch of water, I believe it was part of the Erie Canal, Canal Rd. runs on one side. I have caught a good bunch of flats there. Nothing big but lots of action the times I fished there.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ah that makes sense, used to be a "channel" just like that in middletown that flowed halfway thru town. when the dam failed it just dried up.