Gmc gears

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cumberlandcat, Feb 5, 2008.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Does anyone know of a site that I can find instructions on changing the gears out on my gmc hd. I had a guy who wants to do it for me but he isn't familiar with newer models. He was wanting some sort of diogram for it.

Thanks

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    good luck with that. The backlash has to be within .008"!!!!
    That is too close for a shadetree to mess with IMO.

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    The new ones setup the same as the old ones. If the guy isn't real sure of his self on the job I would consider letting someone else to do it. This is not a job you want done half a$$ed. Not only does the backlash have to be within .008 to .013 but the pinion depth and wear pattern has to be exact too.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    There isn't very much room for error on this. Have a pro do it. Offroad shops would be my first choice (they do this a lot). If you dont have one of those around, find somebody who does it often, so they can set up everything correctly. Your rears and your wallet will thank you in the long run, mainly because if they set it up wrong, you could have to buy them twice.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well maybe I put it wrong hes good and has done many trucks he is just needing info on dropping the front end out. But if he gives me any doubts I will pay to have it done. After 600$ for the front drive shaft whats another 1500 for the gears, I guess I can always make more.