GMC 5500

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Creteus, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    LB7 duramax in front of a allison 1000. Anyone know anything about this truck, other than the mountains of recalls. This truck is causing my hair to fall out. It seems to be de-fueling itself at 2500 RPM. Fuel filter is new, injectors are new, several relays have been replaced. It happens only in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. at 2350 to 2500 the harder you push the gas the slower it goes. Called Allison and they said the tranny would set off a code and theres none. GMC said its not their engine because an engine light would come on. Some say the injector pump is going bad, which is rediculous at 50k miles. This truck has been in the shop more than its been on the road so any info would be appreciated.:0a35:

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    ditch it and buy a ford:cool2:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The fuel pump is going south and will leave you on the side of the road soon. They will begin in this fashion and start creating air bubbles inside the fuel system and then go into bypass mode and return to fuel tank.

You say at 50000 it shouldn't do this I have seen those go south at 5000.
    Its called a poor design

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've got a f-350 and love it. Bought this one because of size. Guess it goes to show size don't matter

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA

GM said something about fuel return and that it wouldn't trip a code. Said $300 just to find out:angry: . Thanks.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull the pump and take it to a good shop and have it rebuilt or find an after market one. I had to do this to my son-in-laws truck twice with only 65000 on it and he finally got smart and got rid of it.

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Are you talking about the injector pump or the pump in the tank. GMC has two tanks with one fuel pump running both tanks with a transfer pump in the rear tank.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i agree with buddacat a friend of mine had the same problem with his gmc we redid the entire fuel system the only original parts left where the tanks. the pumps lines injectors where all replaced we used all edelbrock parts exept the lines wich he made at his job the truck ran great after that took alot of time and money but he loves his truck now

9. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    Does the engine at idle shake any like can you feel it in the seat. My buddie has that moter in his k2500 and the injecter pump has been changed 2 times. it only has 60000 miles on it. Also have you paid any attention to the little stickers on the gas pumps that read the diesel now has only 5000 parts per million of sulfer in it. the sulfer in diesel has lubricating properties that lub up your injecter pump. so keep that in mind because know you have to put feul additive in your diesel to keep the injector pump lubed properly.

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA

The new diesel fuel is 15 ppm the old was 500 ppm. Either way I use additives to make up the differance. Bottom line is GM should have stuck with CAT for their medium duty engines. Duramax just isn't cut out for real work. I'm leaning towards the injector pump so thanks for the reply

11. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    yea sorry about that I acedentlt put one too manny 0's you guys aready have the 15 wel have the 500 one now but it used to be a lot higher. I do agree with you on that about the mitsubishi moters but hey you got the first gen. That moter has now came a long ways scince then. I also have a friend that has the lbz moter and his truck has 120000 miles on it and just had to replace the number 7 injector. He also runs it in the diesel drags in denver. so it is even more abused and still running strong.

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    What year is your truck? I know one other guy with an '01 who is having the same problems. I have an 05 GMC duramax with 30000 miles and I love it. No problems at all. My best friend ows a construction company and his truck is an '04 GMC with 140000 miles and he loves his. He pulls a mini excavator and bobcat everyday. No problems. Half the time he leaves it running for hours at a time. He also has a powerstroke and a cummins for company trucks and says the duramax will run circles around both of them. I pull a 30 foot camper with mine, and you don't even know it's back there. You may have gotten a lemon. I have friends who are die hard ford and dodge guys and they have all gotten a lemon from time to time. My boss has a '02 Powerstroke and he had a turbo, transmission pump, 2 injectors, and front ball joints before 30000 miles. So it just aint a GM thing.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i'll put it this way, every truck has its problems.
    it is impossible for the manufacturer to produce nothing buy perfect trucks. Ford, Dodge, and GM all have their faults. I have 02 GMC duramax, my uncle has 06 gmc duramax and my other uncle has a 03gmc duramax. we are all happy with our trucks.
    mine has 43k on it
    my uncles have 28k and 145k on theirs. None of us have had a major problem.
    Do ya'll know about that new twin turbo ford??? My buddy drove one off the lot and almost made it the 100 mile drive to his house before the truck overheated and shut down.

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I love the brakes and the pulling power the 5500 has. But its an electrical night mare. I do think GMC needs to get rid of the duramax in the medium duty trucks though. Its just not a strong enough engine for the work. Sure it might be great in the 2500s and 3500s but the 5500 should go back to Cat engines.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Have you guys seen the New Toyota Tundra????? As far as reliability, I'm willing to bet it stomps the heck out of all our american made trucks. If and when they decide to go bigger then a half ton detroit better watch out!

16. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Sorry to hear about all the ills with the truck Cretus, I believe your injector pump has went south on ya. You must have gotten a bum one 'cause lots of my buddies have 'em & the only problem that they've had was injectors and computer reflashes.

Cummins is having one hell of a time with their injector pumps right now, even with the folks running additive.

One thing for sure, if ya don't fix it, it won't work for you nor will anyone else want to give you the right $$$ for it:confused2:

Have a great day & I hope it all works out well for you:big_smile:

17. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Only problem with toyota is they're not big enough. My powerstroke have a GVWR of 11,500 And the Duramax is 19,500 with a 80,000 psi frame. Toyota has nothing on that. My trailer would break a toyota in half.

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    u wanna sell that 5500?

19. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Not now. Just spent $800 on garbage to pass the over dramatic inspections down here. And got way to much tied up in other crap I've done to keep the thing running. The only thing left that came on the truck is the paint :LOL

20. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey brother....the wrecker i had for a while was a 55oo with the last three digits of the vin"6-6-6" we had it in the shop for about 6 months with the same problem...turned out to be a bad wiring connection at the fuel pump...it was also a bad fuel pump....my best advice for what you need the truck for ...ditch it and buy a dodge cummins...ill explain my switch from the powerstroke at the georgia gathering